Cloudy water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maz71

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a fluval flex 34l tank and it’s been established for a couple of months. I have 5 minnows a fighter 2 hill stream loaches 2 rabbit snails who have had babies. I’ve come back to find the water is cloudy. I’ve just done a big water change but have checked various sites and that seems to be completely the wrong thing to do! I do 20% water change twice a week but want to go to once a week shortly and I check the water with test strips as well. I understand it’s a biological bloom. What’s the best way to go on this issue please experienced fish keepers!!

Hi Maz...

Actually cloudy water is a sign that a form of less than beneficial bacteria is trying to develop in the tank. A larger water change is always a good idea if you notice something out of the ordinary is going on in your tank. The best thing for your tank is removing and replacing half the water weekly. This will maintain a steady and healthy environment for your fish. It takes several days for waste material to begin to build to a toxic level in the water. By changing half weekly, you remove toxins before they build up and you save time by not getting out the gear to change the water more than once a week.

B

I agree with BBradbury. I have had the same thing happen. It is a buildup of bacteria. It won’t be harmful if you change the water weekly. If you leave it too long there is a possibility of it creating problems. I hope you get it all worked out!

Back
Top Bottom