Cloudy Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

justrelax

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My 55 gallon has taken on this orangish-tan tint. Am I correct in assuming it's probably from the driftwood i put in there a week or so ago? All parameters are normal. Pwc's can be done to keep this in check while the wood settles in, right?

Sounds like the tannins. It will not hurt anything. AC in the filter will help remove it as well. Depending on the type of wood it could last a long time.

Thanx. Just thought of another related question. Would it be beneficial to just leave it like that? I've read a number of fish will be happier in clouded water from peat, but how about tannins? If it won't make a difference I'll try to keep it down, but if it would encourage my angels to hook-up...

Yes, some fish do like that kind of water. It should not be cloudy just yellowish. For what it is worth my angels hooked up when I gave them their own tank. They regularly lay eggs after a water change.

I had a simular issue with a 150 gal deep setup I had at my house a few years ago. I was not getting optimal filtration as well, so I added a canister filter with Activated Carbon, and by the end of the night I had crystal clear water. Its really amazing what it can do.

James

Since you aren't planted I would just throw in some AC. I did and it cleared up my "iced tea" water within a day or two.

Back
Top Bottom