cloudy water in mollie tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Big Dan

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 20 gallon tank with 9 mollies (all between 1 and 2 inches in length) and several babies. I've had the tank for 3 months now. It is cycled but the water says cloudy. Any suggestions on how to clear it up?
I also hay another 20 gallon tank with a variety of barbs and a red-tailed shark. A 10 gallon tank with guppies. A 10 gallon tank with platies. A 5 gallon tank with glow fish. A 5 gallon tank with tetras. All my water has been treated the same and these tanks are crystal clear.

What's the filter? Mollies are a very dirty fish almost as bad as goldfish your filter might not be getting all the debris from them

Keep calm and rock on

I have a 20 gallon tank with 9 mollies (all between 1 and 2 inches in length) and several babies. I've had the tank for 3 months now. It is cycled but the water says cloudy. Any suggestions on how to clear it up?
I also hay another 20 gallon tank with a variety of barbs and a red-tailed shark. A 10 gallon tank with guppies. A 10 gallon tank with platies. A 5 gallon tank with glow fish. A 5 gallon tank with tetras. All my water has been treated the same and these tanks are crystal clear.

A tank that is previously cycled can still go through a cycle if the conditions don't allow for the bacteria to be sustained or to grow enough to compensate for the ammonia/nitrite production.
Do you have a test kit and can you tell us the results?
Cloudy water is typically from bacteria build up from fish waste and food which allow for lots of little protozoa and other creatures to multiply so do some extra water changes, cut back on feeding, and give it some time.
To be honest, and please don't take this as a slight, you have a lot of small tanks (which are harder to control in terms of water parameter stability) which are stocked with fish that need bigger tanks. If you are feeding a lot in addition to that, I would expect you will see more issues in the future.
IMO tetras should not be in anything smaller than a ten gallon since they are shoaling fish, larger species barbs like tiger barbs need at least 40g and a large group, and red tail sharks should really be in a tank around 55g.

cloudy water

imo 9 mollies is a lot for a 20 gallon tank which could be one of the reasons for cloudy water poor filtration is another. I would try depending how cloudy water is more frequent water changes and I would use just prime and stability and keep checking your water parameters.

Back
Top Bottom