Clown Loach

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

orionvierling

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I had another clown loach die. The first one was just a bad purchase from Petco and it died within 2 days. This one was healthier and I had it for almost a month. It did great on clearing up my snail problem. I have a 25 gallon tank with some guppies,neons and a pleco. Is it just bad luck or is there something I can do to help when I get another one? Your help is appreciated.

What's your parameters like? I would assume their ok if your neons are thriving. May be just bad luck. Also, do you realize a 25g aquarium isn't nearly large enough for the clown once it matures?

Not sure of my parameters....I do not have a kit right now. But everything seems to be doing ok. I got the clown loach because I was having a major snail problem....not sure where they came from. It did clear up the snails. I did not know that the tank was too small. Is there another fish that would eat the snails that would fit into my tank?

Clowns need pristine water conditions in a well established tank and are pretty sensitive to higher nitrate levels. The smaller they are when purchased, the harder it is to have them thrive and do well. I've got 6 in my 55 gal that are roughly 3 to 4 inches. I've had them for probably 6 months now and they are super active and eat like little pigs. I religiously do 1 50% water change each week and my tank is filtered with a Fluval 406 and an Aquaclear 70 HOB.

This one was about 2 inches when I got it. But my tank is not pristine. I am disabled and doing a partial water change is really hard for me to do more than once a month or so. Is there anything more hardy that would eat the snails? It is a shame....I did enjoy watching him.

This one was about 2 inches when I got it. But my tank is not pristine. I am disabled and doing a partial water change is really hard for me to do more than once a month or so. Is there anything more hardy that would eat the snails? It is a shame....I did enjoy watching him.

Assassin snails are reasonably hardy but another option is a yoyo loach. They're not exactly hardy but they're much more resilient than juvenile clown loaches. Either of those should be able to happily live in your tank and solve your snail problem.

I have 3 yoyos in my tank and they are awesome to watch. I would get at least 3 so you can watch them interact. They are attached at the hip. They cleared up a surplus of snails in my tank. I would recommend getting older ones though as the smaller they are the more sensitive they seem to be

I am going to check the local (75 miles away) fish store to see if I can get either the yoyo or the snail. Maybe both. I checked ordering but shipping is soooo expensive and I am on a set income. Thanks for all the info....I really appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom