Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-13-2006, 03:24 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Clown Loaches WILL outgrow most tanks

Check out these monsters:
http://www.loaches.com/species_pages..._aquarium.html

Old 05-13-2006, 03:39 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

LOL I've been trying to say this to all the folks that want them in a 29 gal...

severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 04:01 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

yeah, they do get big, but VERY slowly from what i've heard. Mine never got big enough to need a bigger tank, as they are very susseptible (ya ya, cant spell) to ich and stuff because they dont have scales...and my tank wasnt the best when i got them.
Old 05-13-2006, 09:13 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I wonder how old they are! Mine just started to click for me. I gave them zuc and there was no mistaking the click. I wonder how loud those are!
Old 05-13-2006, 10:35 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

wll, if you feed them a flake food, you would probably always hear them click, because they have to go up to the surface, making it more hearable. And are they still kinda pale/light orange? when they are young, they are lightish pale-ish orange, but when they are adults, they are a very nice dark orange.
Old 05-13-2006, 11:52 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
When I was in Guam last summer, we visited the Underwater World, where they had Clown Loaches that were pushing 2 ft long.

Fish won't grow that huge in your aquarium, mind you. No fish will reach it's acual potential size in an aquarium. They have barbs there that were almost 8 inches long and so fat.

I still keep clown loaches in my 55 gallon tank, and know they need a larger home, but I wouldn't suggest to people to not ever get them because of the size they can grow in the wild...or in a huge tank!

75 gallons atleast would be good, IMO.

Just my two cents.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 02:05 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to SeymourFRESH
i have 3 clown loaches in my 55 gallon and they're about 2" right now. when i move out in 5 years, however, i plan on getting at least a 120 gallon to keep them in
Old 05-13-2006, 04:44 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh, I would definitely like to get some eventually... I'll just have to save up for that 125 gal I've been wanting!
severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 08:05 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

I dont know about the smaller tank guys?

Like Ive been told before, 1 or 2 in a large 4 foot tank (70Gallons) you might! get away with it, but bare in mind clown loaches like to be in groups of 4-5+ to actually behave as clown loaches. Lone clown loaches can become agresive and KILL other fish as my friend receantly just extrdited his clown culprute to me.

Best of luck for those with small tanks, keep in mind your fish population will be vastly effected in smaller tanks by inroducing clown loaches. When they say they grow slow, they dont means 10 years. In a small tank I saw my friends loach quadruple in size as it munched down his snails only to kill his corry 18 months later.

In a well looked after set-up fish can still outgrow their tanks. I dont mean to be a party pooper but rather realistic about what to expect for to few clowns in a small tank.
Old 05-15-2006, 01:05 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Nothing hits this point home like seeing a full growth clown loach in person--WOW. Clown loaches in less than ideal sized tanks will never reach their full growth potential, nor will they reach a ripe old age; smaller tanks will wreck havoc on their biology.

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 04:28 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

I wonder how big they can actually get. There has to be some monster clown loaches out in the wild.

Tags
clown, clown loach, clown loaches, loach, loaches, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com