Clown Loaches WILL outgrow most tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LOL I've been trying to say this to all the folks that want them in a 29 gal...

yeah, they do get big, but VERY slowly from what i've heard. Mine never got big enough to need a bigger tank, as they are very susseptible (ya ya, cant spell) to ich and stuff because they dont have scales...and my tank wasnt the best when i got them.

I wonder how old they are! Mine just started to click for me. I gave them zuc and there was no mistaking the click. I wonder how loud those are!

wll, if you feed them a flake food, you would probably always hear them click, because they have to go up to the surface, making it more hearable. And are they still kinda pale/light orange? when they are young, they are lightish pale-ish orange, but when they are adults, they are a very nice dark orange.

When I was in Guam last summer, we visited the Underwater World, where they had Clown Loaches that were pushing 2 ft long.

Fish won't grow that huge in your aquarium, mind you. No fish will reach it's acual potential size in an aquarium. They have barbs there that were almost 8 inches long and so fat.

I still keep clown loaches in my 55 gallon tank, and know they need a larger home, but I wouldn't suggest to people to not ever get them because of the size they can grow in the wild...or in a huge tank!

75 gallons atleast would be good, IMO.

Just my two cents.

i have 3 clown loaches in my 55 gallon and they're about 2" right now. when i move out in 5 years, however, i plan on getting at least a 120 gallon to keep them in :D

Oh, I would definitely like to get some eventually... I'll just have to save up for that 125 gal I've been wanting!

I dont know about the smaller tank guys?

Like Ive been told before, 1 or 2 in a large 4 foot tank (70Gallons) you might! get away with it, but bare in mind clown loaches like to be in groups of 4-5+ to actually behave as clown loaches. Lone clown loaches can become agresive and KILL other fish as my friend receantly just extrdited his clown culprute to me.

Best of luck for those with small tanks, keep in mind your fish population will be vastly effected in smaller tanks by inroducing clown loaches. When they say they grow slow, they dont means 10 years. In a small tank I saw my friends loach quadruple in size as it munched down his snails only to kill his corry 18 months later.

In a well looked after set-up fish can still outgrow their tanks. I dont mean to be a party pooper but rather realistic about what to expect for to few clowns in a small tank.

Nothing hits this point home like seeing a full growth clown loach in person--WOW. Clown loaches in less than ideal sized tanks will never reach their full growth potential, nor will they reach a ripe old age; smaller tanks will wreck havoc on their biology.

I wonder how big they can actually get. There has to be some monster clown loaches out in the wild.

Back
Top Bottom