Clown Pleco color

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cinciboy

Aquarium Advice Freak
Some time ago I bought two clown pleco , they were similar in color and size. But after three months or so one of it changed color, I mean it is very dark brown color and almost while stripes which are symmentric over the body. Also it has become very aggresive defending its cave. The other pleco seems normal color light brown with golden or yellow stripes which are very irregular.. Can anyone tell me are these same 'clown' type or some other stuff.

Pleco's do change color depending on mood and environment. The 'defending' pleco might be changing color to look more impressive. I'd wait to hear back from some of the more experienced catfish type people though.

I have seen clowns that had very uniform stripes, with dark brown body and cream-colored stripes, and others that are more caramel colored with more yellowish stripes that are not as regular, almost reticulated. AFAIK the coloration is not related to its gender, so I don't think that is what you are seeing, but they could both be clowns. The behavior of defending a cave is pretty typical.

Check out planetcatfish.com and click on cat-e-log, then on "common names" and find clown pleco. There should be many pictures there for you to look through and help with your ID.

Back
Top Bottom