Colorful danios

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I want to get some when I can find them around here for less than an arm and a leg a piece. The walmart used to have the pink ones only for 3.99 a piece...should have gotten them. :)

Smidge, about my reply to your post, I didn't mean anything about it. Hope you didn't take it as that. :) I had the same thought when I first saw them.

bs6749 said:
Not to say that you are wrong but what I heard was that the glowlights were injected with either a gene or a luminescent bacteria and it is passed on from generation to generation. Don't remember where I heard that from. I am going to check it out for myself.

Edit: I can't come up with anything on the glo-light tetras being color enhanced. This leads me to believe that I was misinformed or misheard something. It seems that they are infact naturally occuring as they are seen in pet stores and are not color enhanced. Sorry for my ignorance.

They're a transgenic species. This means that a gene was spliced into the DNA of a zebra danio, then the DNA was placed into a ZD egg - egg hatches, fish manifests gene and is bred normally to propogate new species. Technically, there was some egg puncturing, but just w/ the starters of the species. Once they got it, they were produced in the same manner as other cultured ZDs. I would classify them as naturally produced, but not entirely naturally ocurring as they would not be were it not for the application of genetic manipulation (you weren't ignorant, just in need of a little clarification).

Back
Top Bottom