Colorful Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

themanofsilver

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a question that is just a matter of taste. I want to have a more diverse color scheme to my tank. Right now, as you can see in my profile, I have 3 powder blue gouramis and 2 gold dust mollys (and 4 clear pristilla tetra) in my 20g long. I was curious as to what else I could add that would be a) peaceful, b)maybe a community fish, and c) add a unique color to the tank.

I know this is hard it being a FW tank and all but I'd be happy to have any and all suggestions. Thanks!

I have no first hand experience, but I was thinking of cherry barbs as tankmates for a Blue Gourami. After watching them, cherry barbs are just as interesting to me as the Gourami is, but in a different way. I think it would be a striking tank color-wise. I did a search here and people have had success with them compatibility-wise. My LFS agrees. HTH

Great suggestion CZCZ. Cherry barbs really color up nicely, especially the males, after they are in your aquarium for a few weeks. Other options, all of which need a few months to settle in before you will really be impressed by the color, include:
Gold Barbs, Black Phantom Tetras, Bleeding Heart Tetras.

Cherry barbs are also excellent algae eaters!

I adore serpae tetras because of their striking bright red color, but you are actually pretty well stocked in that tank as it is so you would not be able to get the numbers required - serpaes are fast and nippy among themselves so you need 5-7 at least.

Back
Top Bottom