Come on Assassins-EAT the Pond Snails!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreamroper

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi Everyone,

Here's an update on my Assassins & snail problem: the snails that were probably the most beneficial to my tank, the Malasysian Trumpets seem to be largely gone. The pond snails must be pretty prolific breeders because I'm still seeing all ages on my plants. I'm convinced that these little suckers are chewing on my plants.

I put 4 Assassins in a 36 gal last Sunday, so there has been a dramatic improvement in the population of the MTS. Now-I want them to get busy on the pond snails.

D

They will I promise I got 25 mts on Monday for mine and by the next they where all gone. I haven't seen a pond snail in my main tank in months!

They will I promise I got 25 mts on Monday for mine and by the next they where all gone. I haven't seen a pond snail in my main tank in months!

Good, because I'm starting to have a strong dislike for pond snails! They must like MTS better. Either that or they're the easiest to get since they stay mostly in the substrate.

Good, because I'm starting to have a strong dislike for pond snails! They must like MTS better. Either that or they're the easiest to get since they stay mostly in the substrate.

Assassin snails are really efficient at reducing pest snail numbers. It may take a month or two but they will eventually eat them all. I'm not a big fan of crushing them and the lettuce trick just didn't work. I got a little baby assassin too! Cutest thing ever lol.

Assassin snails are really efficient at reducing pest snail numbers. It may take a month or two but they will eventually eat them all. I'm not a big fan of crushing them and the lettuce trick just didn't work. I got a little baby assassin too! Cutest thing ever lol.

Oh good. I was concerned because it seemed like the population was definitely increasing. I'm not a fan of crushing either, but I have been squishing them on my plant leaves sometimes. When I see the holes in my Amazon Swords, it makes it easier.

Hmmmmm... Pond snails don't typically nibble on healthy leaves. Holes in your sword leaves sound like a nutrient deficiency. Are you using root tabs? What are some of the tank specs (lighting, etc)?

Hmmmmm... Pond snails don't typically nibble on healthy leaves. Holes in your sword leaves sound like a nutrient deficiency. Are you using root tabs? What are some of the tank specs (lighting, etc)?

Yes, I'm using root tabs as well as liquid ferts. I have 2 T-5 HO for a 36 gal tank and my plants are doing great. I see little round holes on the otherwise totally healthy leaf. Maybe it's not them, but it sure looks like it to me.

Back
Top Bottom