Conch Shell in 55?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tweediebrd

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Well, as I was scouring craigslist I found a tank to add to my collection. I bought a 55 gallon tank that happen to come with pretty much everything I would ever need besides a heater which is on its way.

But anyway, in the giant bag of decor they had I found this magnificent conch shell. I mean it truly looks great, and its about...i dont know, 6 inches long 4 inches in diameter. It looks like it was in their tank but I do know they used this 55 for goldfish and I intend for it to be a community tank.

So, what I am wondering is, would the conch shell affect a 55 gallon enough to matter. I know people say the calcium will dissolve and raise pH and what not but others say it shouldn't have a effect with normal water changes.

By the way, my pH in all my tanks has always been about 7.7 (so kinda high) and I have not had any problems in 2 years.

Thanks for the help guys!

*Edit* I did have someone tell me that if the tank's pH is already kinda high then the shell will not make a difference and not raise it more than .2 at the very most.

I would be placing it so the opening is in the substrate and nothing could get in....Right after I posted this I decided to clean it up a little bit and when I was (with a toothbrush) out falls a goldfish :eek:.....It was horrible smelling, this thing has been dead for days and must have got stuck in the shell when the previous owner had it. absolutely nasty. So if I can and do use this, it is getting a serious serious serious cleaning....

:facepalm:

Eww that's a lil nasty. Anyways I have a small one in my tank I've never had any issues with it. I have it so that no fish can get in there actually, the only reason I use it is to cover up part of my bubble bar so that bubbles don't go into my filter. I would say throw it in there and just be on the look out for any out of the normal readings.

Yeah, as long as I can get it clean to my satisfaction and quadruple check there are no more carcasses hiding in it. Then Ill throw it in there, my worry of making it able for fish to get in it is like what happened to that goldfish i found, something getting stuck. So i rather just use it as a decoration piece rather than a hiding spot.

Thanks for the input though!

I was cleaning some of my decor with a toothbrush because of algae and out flys a little jimmy. I quickly scoop him up and bolt to my tank and drop him in. He's fine now and in a way bigger tank (rehomed)

Terrible experience never the less,

I was cleaning some of my decor with a toothbrush because of algae and out flys a little jimmy. I quickly scoop him up and bolt to my tank and drop him in. He's fine now and in a way bigger tank (rehomed)

Terrible experience never the less,

Lol, I could only imagine...not sure if I would rather have a live fish fall out or a dead one though, because this shell has been out of water for a few days so needless to say, the fish was solid hard and the stench was almost unbearable....

Lol, I could only imagine...not sure if I would rather have a live fish fall out or a dead one though, because this shell has been out of water for a few days so needless to say, the fish was solid hard and the stench was almost unbearable....

It didnt help that earlier that day my lizards tail got chopped up and was flopping around without an owner. That was a bad day.

Back
Top Bottom