Consistantly Elevated pH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Glennfinan

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 50 gallon tank, set up for about 2 months, but I had this problem with my old tank also 15 gallons. My pH is ALWAYS evevated. I am testing it every 3 days and it hangs around 7.2-7.6, sometimes higher. I have a relatively new test kit (Freshwater master kit by Aquarium Pharmaceuticals) and I use Seachem's pH Neutral Regulator and Acid Buffer to try and and adjust this pH, which never works. The fish seem to be doing ok, but I am worrying myself crazy over this. I have asked advice at my local pet stores, one a small store and the other a big chain, and have gotten conflicting advice. In the tank I have a Pleco, 3 Barbs, 1 Tetra, 10 Danios, 3 Head and Tail lights, 2 Bala Sharks, 2 other sharks, not sure of the name, but they are pretty darn cute and active swimmers, 2 cat fish, and 4 Gouramis. I have 1 piece of mod sized drift wood, and 2 live plants. I use a Magnum 350 canister filter with charcoal and the blue medium, which I have not changed since I started the tank. I have tested my tap water and it is off the scale high. I guess I am asking for advice/support. Should I leave the pH high, should I continue to try and force it lower, should I use a filter for my tap water, or should I adjust it before I add it to the tank. I also wanted to keep some Angel Fish and maybe some Mollies or Guppies in the tank, can they handle this pH? My 2 sources of advice are giving me conflicting advice. I am now going to experienced Aquarium keepers for advice. Please Help!

Glennfinan

Sounds like you have hard water. Have you tested the gh of it yet?

I avoid chemicals if possible. There are some natural ways to lower ph. One of which is driftwood (which you already have). As it decomposes in the water it lowers the ph. But this is a very slow process and in my experience doesn't lower it by much at all.

Another one is to add peat into your filter. You can do a topic search for "peat" and find a lot of recent threads about it. From what I've read you can buy peat granules, put them in a nylon pouch (kinda like most filter carbon bags) and just put it into your filter and watch your ph drop.

I'm not sure what ph your fish can stand. I don't have any of them, but I think they should be fine up to 7.6. It's radical changes in the ph that's going to hurt them.

Well, if the fish seem to be behaving in a normal manner, I wouldn't sweat it too much.

Most people that use tap water will see that most fish can acclimate to Ph levels outside the 'book parameters'. It may affect breeding, and may allow some of the delicate one's susceptible to ailments.

The chemical treatments for either raising or lowering Ph seem to be a waste of money by most enthusiasts. Sooner or later, you need to change the water anyway, and you're right back to square one.

It appears the only tried and true method for lowering the Ph is to get lfs approved drift wood or peet moss. Seems like drift wood is the easier method, but results may take longer and eventually the drift wood will need to be replaced. Seems peet moss is much more effective, but seems to be time consuming and laborious to get started with.

You can probably do a search here on the moss method.

In my humble opinion, I'd avoid chemical PH regulators as well. They just create too many problems. Been there, done that.

As said by other members, I'd allow the fish to acclimate to your water's natural PH. It's much easier on you and will be a healthier option for your fish. A high PH can be acclimated to but an ever changing PH can be deadly. PH swings are to be avoided at all costs. So make it easy on yourself and your fish. :wink:

[center:b8ffc36eba] :smilecolros: Welcome to AA, Glennfinan! :n00b: [/center:b8ffc36eba]
If the fish were locally bred under the same water conditions, you will be fine.
If you decide to go with lowering the pH, do so naturally and safely.

I would love to have tap water that stays under 7.6.
If KH is high this will buffer the water. You can add chemicals but over 24 hours it will slowly go back up.
I would leave it alone unless you have low PH fish.
RO water will fix the problem. Try mixing different ratios in a glass and testing to get the water you want.
Here is what I posted about it. http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=25934

Glen,

Relax, take a deep breath, and realize the majority of fish at the LFS have been acclimated to the water out of your tap. Introducing acid based chemicals to lower the PH will most likely cause more problems then benefits. It does sound like you have received conflicting advice from the local merchants. I wouldn't worry about those details. What I would worry about is the stock in your tank. While I’m sure the 2 Bala sharks and 2 “other” sharks are darn cute, the long-term outlook isn’t good in a 50-gallon tank. Do you have plans for the Bala's as they outgrow the 50?

Best regards,

William

I don't know if this is bad, but my pH has always been elevated too. The first time I did it, it was at 8.4!!! It has since come down naturally somehow to around 7.6 - 7.8. I haven't been worrying about it or having any problems whatsoever.

8/9 fish I have purchased are still alive and thriving. The other, a bushy nose pleco, died the day after I put him in, but I believe that was due to stress rather than any of my water parameters. When I brought him back, all the other bushy nose had passed away too at the LFS.

Unless you have fish that prefer a lot lower than 7.0, I wouldn't worry about it at all, much less worry yourself crazy. :)

Paul

As your tank ages, the pH naturally comes down a bit.
pkremer, have you tested your tap water after letting it sit out (preferably with an airstone running) overnight?

Back
Top Bottom