Converting a goldfish tank to a tropical tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishandmusic81

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I want to change my goldfish tank to a tropical tank but I heard there's complications to this?
I plan on taking out all the water from the goldfish tank and putting in new treated water
Can I still keep the media from the goldfish tank to seed the tank??

As long as you water tests ok, zero ammonia, zero nitrites and nitrates less than 40, and the ph is ok for the type of tropicals that you want, you should only need to raise the water temp for the tropicals. You can use the media and all substrate and decor that is in the tank and will not have to do a 100% water change, just keep up with your weekly changes and normal testing.
Lots of people use gold fish to cycle their tank and simply remove them and adjust water temperature for the type of fish they want.

Nimo said:
As long as you water tests ok, zero ammonia, zero nitrites and nitrates less than 40, and the ph is ok for the type of tropicals that you want, you should only need to raise the water temp for the tropicals. You can use the media and all substrate and decor that is in the tank and will not have to do a 100% water change, just keep up with your weekly changes and normal testing.
Lots of people use gold fish to cycle their tank and simply remove them and adjust water temperature for the type of fish they want.

Thanks for all info ! I'm ready to start then good to know it isn't gonna be awfully hard

Not hard at all, just make sure that what ever fish you choose to put in your tank you use proper water temps and properly acclimate them.
My recommendation for acclimating any fish is to use a drip method. You can find directions for how to do this on line. Floating the bag on top of the water only does a temp acclimation it does not acclimate for all water chemistry

Nimo said:
Not hard at all, just make sure that what ever fish you choose to put in your tank you use proper water temps and properly acclimate them.
My recommendation for acclimating any fish is to use a drip method. You can find directions for how to do this on line. Floating the bag on top of the water only does a temp acclimation it does not acclimate for all water chemistry

Yeah will do it should be easy only think is the cost for the plants to fill the tank up lol

I buy a little at a time, you don't have to get in a hurry, I have scheduled water changes around pay days that way while I have the water level already down I can add new plants or redecorate.

Nimo said:
I buy a little at a time, you don't have to get in a hurry, I have scheduled water changes around pay days that way while I have the water level already down I can add new plants or redecorate.

Yeah definitely but the quality plants at my lfs are a tad bit expensive but it's good quality so it's worth it

I agree with Nimo, it should be fine. I ended up getting a 10g tank from a friend with feeder goldies in it. It was cycled, because the goldies had been in there for awhile. I re-homed the goldies, did a big pwc, and put new fish in on the same day with no issues.

absolutangel04 said:
I agree with Nimo, it should be fine. I ended up getting a 10g tank from a friend with feeder goldies in it. It was cycled, because the goldies had been in there for awhile. I re-homed the goldies, did a big pwc, and put new fish in on the same day with no issues.

Awesome the tanks been setup for about 6 years so I should be good

Back
Top Bottom