Couldnt find noniodized salt.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
aer you running a brackish tank? because if not you dont need salt. im guessing your going to put it in the 29 gallon? because salt in the other tanks is bad because you have catfish.

For treating an injury, Kosher (noniodized rock) salt is perfectly fine.
It's supposed to work by 1- stimulating the fish' natural protective slimecoat, and 2 - changing the water's osmotic pressure, so that the fish doesn't have to work so hard to compensate for the water that is frely entering its body through the open wound.
I've read doses ranging from 1 teaspoon to 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons.

Another treatment lots of people use is MelaFix.

Oscars are pretty tough fish. The only extra action required on your part may simply be keeping the water extra clean by doing more frequent water changes until the injury heals. HTH

My oscar broke the glass thermometer in this tank and got a DEEP cut from it.
All I did is treat with the Melafix for seven day and the wound is almost totaly gone.
You can still see a little mark where it was.

not hard to find non-iodinized salt. Just look at wallmart, they usually have both.

Pufferpunk said:
Iodine will not hurt your fish--it is a myth.

Thats true, but I am still a bit leery of some of the anti-caking agrents used in some free-running table salts. Pickling salt is also usually non-iodized, by the by.

Toirtis said:
Pufferpunk said:
Iodine will not hurt your fish--it is a myth.

Thats true, but I am still a bit leery of some of the anti-caking agrents used in some free-running table salts. Pickling salt is also usually non-iodized, by the by.

Sounds like a possible added bonus.. isnt pickling salt ground fine so that it will dissolve in cold water? :idea: more soluble.. :idea:

Back
Top Bottom