crayfish!!!!!!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
well u run the risk of it eating any fish u put in with it, but i had a blue crayfish 4 2 years and he only ate 2 fish and a red thi crab and as far as the fish i belive that they mite have been dead b4 he got to them. but i watch him and the crab fighting about an hour b4 i found him eating it. i had alot of bottom dwellers and goraimis and a bala and he only ever got 1 placo and a rainbow darter from the creek behind my girlfreinds house so i would say u would be safe with about anything thats semi aggresive or is fast. im sure ppl r gona say that u shouldnt put it with anything but it worked for me

well right now i have him in a 10 gal. by himself just wanted to know what i can throw in there. they have these dwarf red crabs at my lfs but i dunno if i can throw them in there or maybe sumthin i dunno i need sum help

i wouldnt put a crab in with him just to much of a chance it gettin eatin maby some danios or neon tetras or maby a pair of lil gouramis

The problem with adding neons would be that they like to sleep at the bottom of the tank at night - That makes them easy prey. I would also add that two gouramis in a 10g is probably not a good idea. They can be territorial and a 10g just doesn't provide them with enough space.

Maybe something fast and that stays more towards the top. Its really had to say with crawdads, might just be better off with a species tank.

anything that isn't a slow swimmer should be fine, but you can't be totally sure it won't eat any. I would think that as long as you keep him fed he won't have the need to eat the fish....

Really a 10 is too small for a crayfish. Also, seriously, I have 2 of these guys and anything smaller than them is a target. We have a now 8 inch common pleco and they both have tried to catch him for dinner.

how is a 10 gal 2 small if he only grows 3-4inches? and basically still cant put nothing wit um

They like room to wander. How would you like to be in a small cage? Just enough room for you to walk a few inches in either direction. Also, most crayfish species get anywhere from 3 to 6 inches. They do molt every month and a half, with that molting comes growth. Our's just molted and the difference is very apparent.

It depends on the crayfish. I ahve a had a crayfish that was very mellow and peaceful and i out a little guppy with him and they were great friends but when he died i got another and he had a very bad additude he was mean and aggresive he ate my fish but gave me better entertainment

They like room to wander. How would you like to be in a small cage? Just enough room for you to walk a few inches in either direction. Also, most crayfish species get anywhere from 3 to 6 inches. They do molt every month and a half, with that molting comes growth. Our's just molted and the difference is very apparent.
+1
crayfish are the same as fish. A fish that is that big would need more room to swim so a crayfish would like to climb and move the rocks and evrything and actually ahve room to move

I've had a lobster for nearly a year, he is around 8" long. He has managed to catch and eat every fish I've tried with him, including tetras, mollies, guppies and golden algae eaters.
I have just added 6 marbled hatchet fish as they stay near the surface 90% of the time and are less likely to be eaten. To be honest I think that you are gonna need a bigger tank if you add fish, they will have nowhere to hide from him.

Back
Top Bottom