Crayfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Todd2

Aquarium Advice Freak
Someone in school used crayfish in their final project, but now that school is almost over he has to give them away. I offered to maybe take them but didn't give him a definite answer. I have a 10g community tank with zebra danios and cories. The two crayfish are about 4 in. each. Would they eat my fish if I put them in there? If they would could I put them in a 5g by themselves. I don't know that much about crayfish but they seem interesting and it would be nice to have them.

I don't have or know much about crayfish, but I do believe they will pretty much destroy any plants you may have. So if it's planted don't bother.

But other than that, hopefully someone can give you a response about the fish.

-brent

i wouldnt even think of puting them with fish. i think crayfish are coldwater too. i suggest you get a icebox or something else to put them in. i put tghem in a 30 gallon ice box i found int he garage. and at lowes i think theres a 50 gallon tubberware box thingy for like 16.00$

Crayfish will nip at and eventually kill the cories, as they are benthic fish (e.g. rest on the substrate). Most crayfish can definitely survive in warmer tanks. If you get a tank for them, it can be moderately heated, but make sure they have plenty of hiding room. These guys will kill each other, and their claws are *powerful*.

I have kept them and they are definitely terrors. They do fine in a tropical tank, but I had one that killed everything it could find, and kept an 8-inch oscar basically trapped in one corner of the tank. I would like to keep one in a 5gal maybe as a specimen, because they are cool creatures, but they have no place in a community setup, at least IME. Anything with claws, including shrimp, is going to be a predator.

Thanks for all the replies. Do you guys think 2 in a 5g with substrate and hiding places and a sponge filter would work or would they fight?

Ok I'll do that since that'd probably be cheaper than a 5g at the lfs, trying not to spend a whole lot. I've read to feed them shrimp pellets and they don't need heat so hopefully I'll be getting the crayfish soon :D

Back
Top Bottom