Critique My Aquascape Please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Leader-Of-The-Fish

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello everyone! I have finally come around to starting my own aquascape! The tank is 20 gallons long. This is my first aquascape of any kind so I really am looking forward to your critiques. I want the aquascape to be iwagumi and I plan on the carpet plant being HC. I am open to anything though and I just want to hear what you have to say!

img_2425306_0_ca25b4c0a9d1d75854ad94e6331028dd.jpg

I really like it, some green, plants obviously, color will really make it pop. Have you considered adding some tall plants along the back where it gets low.

I like it! Here s a pic of how Iwagami rocks are usually arranged, if that helps. I m putting together a 29g planted myself, waiting for substrate, have all the rocks. Haven t settled on a design yet. Would love to see a pic when you re done.

image-3344998030.jpg

Thanks for your replies!

Yes I have considered adding dwarf hairgrass in the back. Do you have any recommendations? The tank will be co2 injected.

Thanks for the picture! I have been doing research into iwagumi but I kind've wanted to stray away from the "common layout" appearance and instead tried to create a scape. I know that doesn't really make any sense hahaha!

Thanks for your replies :D

Really like this setup. The three rocks on the right side mimic each other yet resemble nothing else in there (cool). I like the depth and the valley effect.

I am in the process of setting up a planted shrimp tank and was happy with the single hill on the left side until I saw your tank; I dumped in the half bag of EcoComplete I had lying around and built a hill on the right side.

Really like this setup. The three rocks on the right side mimic each other yet resemble nothing else in there (cool). I like the depth and the valley effect.

I am in the process of setting up a planted shrimp tank and was happy with the single hill on the left side until I saw your tank; I dumped in the half bag of EcoComplete I had lying around and built a hill on the right side.

Wow! I am glad you enjoy the tank and that I helped inspire you for your shrimp tank! I'm interested in seeing how it comes out. Do you have a pic??

Wow! I am glad you enjoy the tank and that I helped inspire you for your shrimp tank! I'm interested in seeing how it comes out. Do you have a pic??

The rocks were speaking to me. Jk. Usually I go to google for ideas and this just showed up. Bam!

Funny thing about the pics...my iPhone had no contacts all of a sudden so it was recommended to do a restore via iTunes. Well my contacts came back but I lost about a months worth of pics, specifically of a shrimp tank build :( will back up the pics separately next time

Going to start a thread with minimal pics

Hey everyone! Sorry for not posting earlier; life got in the way. By using your opinions, I managed to create another rock layout. Please comment and give me your personal advice :)

img_2442596_0_81f5aa029baa578f0cf5061cb6852db0.jpg

I'm no expert my any means. But you asked so here it is...

I LOVE it!! The right side to me is BOSS!! Leave it!! The left side looks to uniformed if that makes sense. Maybe stand the back stone up to fine it height and make the other stones different heights?

A few on the right look all the same level. I also like the idea of the one rouge stone. They have a name for that. If you already knew this I apologize for posting then :)

Suteishi (a sacrificial stone)

The Suteishi is a small stone that does not stand out in its own right, and may even become hidden by plants over time. The Suteishi can be omitted from the aquascape if you are creating a Sanzon Iwagumi, which has a more striking presence. The Suteishi adds an element of subtlety, intricacy and complexity to the Iwagumi.

Also a lot aqua scaping is just go with it. No plan. Here's a good video I love to watch.

http://youtu.be/OZ0WBDcEWZE

I just wanna be clear on one thing though. We all have out opinions and they all differ. I'm not a professional at all, I respect you and your hard work. I just offered what I saw and mean no disrespect at all. Your hard work had definitely paid off and it shows no matter what!! Remember your the one that looks at it not us!! I've gotten torn apart on another forum a out my cichlid tank and I went off and got kicked off(don't care)

This forum is 300x's better and the members here are much more helpful and polite. I don't criticism but not being attacked like I was. I guess my point is... Your happy then that's all that matters.

Last edited:
Beautiful! You have inspired me with my new tank! I would love to make mine like that!

Just my opinion, if it were me I would cluster together three of those larger rocks on the left side and maybe omit some smaller rocks. But thats just me. :)

Your rocks are lovely. Do you mind if I ask where you got them?

And how did you get that background color? I love it.

I'm no expert my any means. But you asked so here it is...

I LOVE it!! The right side to me is BOSS!! Leave it!! The left side looks to uniformed if that makes sense. Maybe stand the back stone up to fine it height and make the other stones different heights?

A few on the right look all the same level. I also like the idea of the one rouge stone. They have a name for that. If you already knew this I apologize for posting then :)

Suteishi (a sacrificial stone)

The Suteishi is a small stone that does not stand out in its own right, and may even become hidden by plants over time. The Suteishi can be omitted from the aquascape if you are creating a Sanzon Iwagumi, which has a more striking presence. The Suteishi adds an element of subtlety, intricacy and complexity to the Iwagumi.

Also a lot aqua scaping is just go with it. No plan. Here's a good video I love to watch.

'Through the Eyes of a Child' Aquascape by James Findley - The Making of - YouTube

I just wanna be clear on one thing though. We all have out opinions and they all differ. I'm not a professional at all, I respect you and your hard work. I just offered what I saw and mean no disrespect at all. Your hard work had definitely paid off and it shows no matter what!! Remember your the one that looks at it not us!! I've gotten torn apart on another forum a out my cichlid tank and I went off and got kicked off(don't care)

This forum is 300x's better and the members here are much more helpful and polite. I don't criticism but not being attacked like I was. I guess my point is... Your happy then that's all that matters.

Thanks for your input!! I have posted this new setup on some other fourms and I have all heard the right side looks uniform. Im glad that you enjoy it and I appreciate the positive feedback! :D

Beautiful! You have inspired me with my new tank! I would love to make mine like that!

Just my opinion, if it were me I would cluster together three of those larger rocks on the left side and maybe omit some smaller rocks. But thats just me. :)

Your rocks are lovely. Do you mind if I ask where you got them?

And how did you get that background color? I love it.

Im glad that I could inspire you! :) I got my rocks at a local garden center. They were selling them for 2 for $1. In regards to the background color, that is the color of my wall. When the tank light is on in the dark it just seems to have that effect! Thanks and I wish you well in your tank setup :D

I'm not an expert at all, just fascinated by the hard work folks put into these kinds of tanks. Unbelievable work.

I thought, at least from a "purists" perspective, that you were only supposed to use 3, 5, 7, or 8 rocks. Maybe that's a different type of design. But, who cares. Yours looks great!

I'm not an expert at all, just fascinated by the hard work folks put into these kinds of tanks. Unbelievable work.

I thought, at least from a "purists" perspective, that you were only supposed to use 3, 5, 7, or 8 rocks. Maybe that's a different type of design. But, who cares. Yours looks great!

I'm very sure that there is a design like that, but I thought for iwagumi there should be an odd number of rocks as a guideline. ;)

Back
Top Bottom