Curiosity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ryanlr88

Aquarium Advice Activist
Does having well water cchange anything for water changes? It probably depends on where you are but is well water usually better since it lacks chlorine?

You are correct that well water does not contain disinfectants such as chlorine or chloramine. A dechlorinating type of product is not necessary but you need to consider that well water may have an excess of dissolved metals, high nitrates, arsenic, be very hard (or very soft) among other considerations. It really is well-dependent.

If its well water used for human consumption, then it should be tested regularly for safety purposes and the results of these reports will reveal if there are concerns for human (or fish) health. Assuming the water is safe for drinking and does not have high metal levels, then a water conditioner may not be necessary but it would not hurt to use one if you wish. Hope this helps a bit! :)

I would add to that last post by saying that ground water can often be high in carbon dioxide and very low in oxygen, so I would recommend strong aeration to 'degass' it and add oxygen

Would also be worth pumping through activated charcoal to remove possible chemical contaminants unless tested safe for human consumption.

I agree - the biggest concern would be hard water/metals. Most likely it would be just fine for fish if it is safe for human consumption - especially if a regular maintenance schedule that includes partial water changes is established. I would caution against topping off much with well water just because the mineral content of the water will not evaporate, so by topping off you are adding extra TDS to the water that could become an issue over time, especially if regular water changes are missed or skipped.

Back
Top Bottom