Cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LucidSardine

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Guys, I feel stupid saying this, but I have no idea what cycling is! I keep hearing this term, I assume it has something to do with breeding??? Can anyone explain it to me? Thanks!

It refers to building up bacteria in your aquarium to handle the ammonia produced by fish.

Ammonia is a primary waste product of fish poo and extra food in a tank. There is a bacteria that convert the produced ammonia into nitrite. There is another bacteria that converts the nitrite into nitrate. Both ammonia and nitrite are highly toxic to fish while the end product nitrate is less toxic.

Basically, if you have fish in your aquarium you need to do a 50% water change any time you see an ammonia or nitrite level above .25ppm. That will keep the water safe for fish while allowing the bacteria time to grow which can take a month or more. You can do the process without fish by adding pure ammonia and allowing the bacteria to grow by feeding off of that.

Back
Top Bottom