Cycling Idea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dwohlge1

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am curious if this is a good idea or a bad idea. I got the idea from another poster. I took some substrate and the filter medium out of my established 10g and placed it in a plastic soup container with a hole in the top. I then put this in my 25g which has been up for 3 weeks.

I am hoping this will speed up the bacteria in the new tank? Is this a good idea or could it have negative effects?

Attachments

• image-4492549.jpg
    image-4492549.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 65
Nope you did the right thing 100%. :)

You could take that media out and out it in a panyhose foot and leave it near water flow for even better results though

Do you have any fish in there? If so how many and which kind. Good bacteria grow on surfaces in your tank, Im not sure if they can migrate from them though, but it worth the try. Lets see if you achieve your cycling faster than expected.

Nope you did the right thing 100%. :)

You could take that media out and out it in a panyhose foot and leave it near water flow for even better results though

I agree. It wont hurt anything as it is, but since the seeding material isn't contacting anything in the tank I think it's only going to have a minor impact in speeding up your cycle. Placing it near the water flow is a good idea. Another trick I used was placing my seeding material near the filter intake so the bacteria is actually sucked up into the filter I'm trying to establish.

Thanks all. I have two fancy goldfish in the aquarium. Putting the medium by the filter intake is a great idea I am going to try it, I will let you know how it works out.

I moved the medium right bellow my intake this morning

So last night the ammonia was at .25ppm, I just tested and for the first time in weeks the ammonia did not go up. It is still currently at .25ppm.

I don't have my full test kit yet so I can't test to nitrate or nitrite.

Attachments

• image-3580870369.jpg
    image-3580870369.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 67
Dwohlge1 said:
I moved the medium right bellow my intake this morning

So last night the ammonia was at .25ppm, I just tested and for the first time in weeks the ammonia did not go up. It is still currently at .25ppm.

I don't have my full test kit yet so I can't test to nitrate or nitrite.

Good! I'm glad it seems it's working for you. I'd try to get a full test kit soon though because the nitrItes can be extremely toxic if they get too high. The pwc's in the mean time will help out.

No water changes Ammonia is below .25 ppm today. Almost looked yellow. My freshwater test kit has yet to come in the mail.

Back
Top Bottom