Cycling questions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CcJ23

Aquarium Advice Freak
Happy Holidays everyone! I'll try to keep this short. I setup 2 thanks recently, a 10 gallon and a 20 gallon. I've been using Seachem Stability for over a week, and the directions on that say its ok to add fish whenever, as long as I used it for at least 7 days straight. The 10 gallon seems pretty well cycled (in accordance with test strips):
Nitrate: very low, close to zero ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
pH: relatively neutral
Ammonia: 0 or very close to it

The 20 gallon on the other hand:
Nitrate: 20 ppm
Nitrite: 5 ppm
pH: a little higher, but still relatively neutral
Ammonia: close to 0

Anyone know how far along I am in my cycle? Or is it safe to add fish? They will be mollies so relatively hardy... Thanks in advance

You should be fine to add a couple of fish. Imo it's better to be cautious and add 2-3 at a time on the smaller tanks.

You should be fine to add a couple of fish. Imo it's better to be cautious and add 2-3 at a time on the smaller tanks.

Alright thanks. I think I'll pick up a few mollies today while I'm out. YOu don't think I should put them in the 20 gallon do you?

Have you been adding an ammonia source? If not then the tanks can't cycle; the bacteria stuff is hit and miss but without an ammonia source for the bacteria to feed on the cycle hasn't even started. I don't know where the high nitrites and nitrates are coming from on the 20 unless it's coming from the stability or your tap water. Mollys are pretty high bioload; if you're going to cycle with them I'd suggest starting with one.

I'd do a couple of water changes on the 20 before adding fish. But the 10 I'd add two. Imo the fish will be more stressed being alone in the tank. Test your water every day ad soon as you see a spike do a pwc.

Tank Cycling

Happy Holidays everyone! I'll try to keep this short. I setup 2 thanks recently, a 10 gallon and a 20 gallon. I've been using Seachem Stability for over a week, and the directions on that say its ok to add fish whenever, as long as I used it for at least 7 days straight. The 10 gallon seems pretty well cycled (in accordance with test strips):
Nitrate: very low, close to zero ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
pH: relatively neutral
Ammonia: 0 or very close to it

The 20 gallon on the other hand:
Nitrate: 20 ppm
Nitrite: 5 ppm
pH: a little higher, but still relatively neutral
Ammonia: close to 0

Anyone know how far along I am in my cycle? Or is it safe to add fish? They will be mollies so relatively hardy... Thanks in advance

Hello Cc...

If you're going to introduce some hardy fish, I don't recommend Mollies. They're the most sensative to changes in water conditions of any of the other "Livebearers".

I used feeder female Guppies when I cycled my first tank, a 30 G. I just tested the water every day and when a test showed a trace of ammonia or nitrites in the water, I changed out roughly a 3rd of the tank water.

At this point, you don't need to know where your tank is in the cycling process, just add a few fish like Guppies, Platys, White Clouds or Zebra Danios and test the water daily and change a 3rd when necessary. When several tests show no traces of the above toxins, you can add some more fish and resume testing until the tank is stocked.

The process takes 6 to 8 weeks, but you have the benefit of having some fish in the tank.

B

Have you been adding an ammonia source? If not then the tanks can't cycle; the bacteria stuff is hit and miss but without an ammonia source for the bacteria to feed on the cycle hasn't even started. I don't know where the high nitrites and nitrates are coming from on the 20 unless it's coming from the stability or your tap water. Mollys are pretty high bioload; if you're going to cycle with them I'd suggest starting with one.

I had guppies in them both, breifly in the 20 and almost a year in the 10 gallon. Then I got an infection from a few female guppies that I picked up from Petsmart :banghead: and it wiped out my whole tank. I was pretty aggravated so I completely cleared out that tank and set it up again. The 20 had a few guppies in it for about a week and a half last month but they eventually died from the infection also. I'm hoping this gave me enough ammonia to start a cycle. However, it is for that reason that I don't want to get guppies again.

Back
Top Bottom