Cycling small tanks (.5-3 gallons)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

allysonwonderland

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've heard conflicting information on how possible it is to cycle a small tank. Can I get some consensus (doubtful ;)) once and for all? I work in a chain pet store and people often ask me for advice about their tiny tanks. I can't sell all of them a 10+ gallon for their betta.

Aside from getting a larger, filtered tank, how should one do water changes on a betta bowl to do what's best for the fish under less than perfect circumstances? I'm under the impression that it can't cycle without filter media. Is that completely true? Are 100% changes REALLY that bad when there isn't a cycle to begin with? Or is it still better for the owner to do partial changes while removing as much waste as possible with something like a turkey baster? This is also a lot more time consuming and frustrating for them when the betta starts stirring up all the debris at the bottom. I also feel like partial changes will still leave too much ammonia in such a small volume of water.

What about sizes like 2.5 gallons? With and without a filter?

Up until now I've been recommending weekly 100% changes on bowls, weekly 50% changes on 2.5 gals with a filter.

I have a 2.5 with filter and heater for a betta. He gets a 20-40% water change weekly and he is such a happy guy. 3 years old now.

Back
Top Bottom