Dark green algae problems......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thilligoss73

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've had my 60-gallon community tank running for quite a while now (going on 3 years), but in the last year or so I've seen a gradual increase in this algae that I just can't get rid of. It's not the usual green-colored algae that I've normally seen in other tanks.....it's a dark, dark green...almost black color, and it's only on the tops of the plastic plant leaves. Also, the water is crystal clear....no green tint or cloudiness at all. Water parameters are all within the tolerance levels indicated on the test package...not the test strips, the real test-tube style test kit. I've tried reducing my lighting time to just 4-5 hours per day, and even gone so far as to leave the lights off for several days at a time. Nothing has seemed to slow this stuff down. I've tried Otos, snails, but nothing seems to eat this stuff at all. I eventually tried the liquid algae control additives, and those didn't slow this algae's roll at all. Nothing has deterred this algae. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get rid of this stuff? Either algae eating creatures, chemical additives, etc? I'd rather not leave the lights off 24/7, but it seems that may be what it takes!

I had a similar problem, Amano shrimp literally cleared it up in a week! If you have any decent size fish it'd be a gamble
Please disregard picture, don't know why it's there.

Attachments

• image-1651720320.jpg
    image-1651720320.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 86
Thanks for the suggestion. I do have 2 Angels, both about the size of a raquetball in diameter, and a Blue Gourami about 3 1/2 inches. Do you think they would give the shrimps a hard time? Also, the plastic plants are about 24" tall and reach to the top of the tank. Would the shrimps climb to get the algae, or just stay on the bottom?

I'm not familiar w angels, if they are fierce eaters they will prob go after them, than again the Amano 'a are seriously quick! You could get 3 or so and see what happens? They are 3-4$ ea. so it could be an expensive trial if you get a bunch..

Angels will kill and eat shrimp and don't underestimate how fast an angel can be. I used to occasionally put a bunch of ghost shrimp in my 220g with 12 large adult angels and some angels would actually work together to hunt and kill the shrimp.

If the algae is fuzzy it's probably black brush algae. It's not uncommon in non planted tanks that nutrient levels get high in and or lighting is left on too long. If you have plastic plants I suggest removing them and either bleaching them or soak them 20 minutes in hydrogen peroxide 3%. If you can't remove them then you can use 3ml of peroxide for every 1 gallon of tank water, turn off filters, then slowly squirt the algae with the peroxide. Leave filters off 20 minutes. You can treat an area a day if you have a lot. But a picture of the algae for identification would be very helpful. If it's BBA then it will begin turning color usually within 24 hours which means it's dying.

Also how long do you run lighting daily? This is usually one of the biggest reasons for algae issues.

How often do you do WC's and how much do you change out each time? What size tank and what is your exact stock list? Running lights only 6 hours until algae is gone helps a lot.

Thanks for all the help.....the algae isn't brushy or fuzzy looking, just like a dark green/black looking coating on the plants. I don't see it on the gravel, rocks, or anything else...just the plastic plants. I havent tried putting the plants in bleach before, since I didn't know if that was safe. I thought it might absorb into the plastic then go into the tank when I put them back in. I will try to take a decent photo of it when I get home from work tonight and add it to the thread so you can see it better.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Back
Top Bottom