Day and Night for tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

littlelouie

Aquarium Advice Freak
I know that a tank needs appx 8-12 hrs of light but how much of this light needs to be the tanks internal lighting. :?:

My tank is in a room that gets plenty of natural daylight (no direct sunlight onto tank though).

I get up at 7am and turn the tank light on at 7.30am, feed the fish at 8am turn it off at 9.30am and then once the sun starts to go down at appx 4pm(in winter mths) I turn the tank light on 'til I go to bed appx 10pm (give or take 1/2 hr) this gives 8hrs of tank light plus the daylight in between. Is this ok or should I adjust what I am doing :?:

Louise

If you have no live plants, that's fine. If you have live plants, 10 hours with lights on.

Little louie why don't you get a timer for the light in your tank - save you remembering to turn the light on/off/on/off/on etc :lol:

Louise, bowhunter, thank you very much. you give me too much credit :oops:

Anyway, to echo catfish, timers are great!

Can you recommend any timers? The LFS shop suggested a DIY store - but the timers in the DIY store say 'not suitable for fluorescent lights'. I don't want to burn the hourse down or electrocute the fish.

Also we just got home late - the house and the tank were in darkness. The algae eater was eating the plants (he usually hides when the lights are on) and the guppies were asleep. Anyway we suddendly turned the lights in the house on - the poor fish look absolutely startled. We are feeling a bit guilty - but next time we will turn the lamps on first and gradullay increase the light levels so that they don;t get scared.

Can you recommend any timers?

Dang we need some U.K. folks to chime in here! As I'm sure you know, US and UK have different electrical systems, so I got nothin for you here. I've purchased my timers at a home improvement store, but maybe you could try a home electronics store? :?:

I can't seem to find a timer for a grounded fitting (3 prong plug)?? Any suggestions?

Home depot carries them, i got a digital one with battery back up, set it and forget it.

I don't mind turning the light on and off. I live in a 1 room flat so I walk past it to get to breakfast and then when I go to bed.

I also like the manual way so I am able observe the aquarium inhabitants for any abnormalities, also check the temp. and filter etc:mrgreen:

Maybe one day when I live in a house and have kids, the timer will come in very handy :wink:

Thanks for the input :D
LL

Back
Top Bottom