Decor advice for axolotl tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Etherealheart

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone,

I'm new here and I am just curious if any of you know if artificial plant vines/garlands, like the ones used for wedding decor and stuff, would be safe to put in an aquarium as I want a kind of fairy garden theme for my axolotls with like pink roses and fake ivy wrapped around my tank divider to make it look more aesthetically pleasing.
Just wanna know if it's safe or not before I go buying anything. If not, any suggestions on how I can achieve this look with something else?
So far my tank is basically empty so I am open to ideas, I just want a kind of pastel pink kawaii look without upsetting my axies if that's possible.
If anyone could suggest any ways to safely and affordably make my own decorations I'd totally be up to that too, as decorating and design is a passion of mine, but I am really no aquarium expert. Because of this I haven't started decorating the tank properly yet, just to be safe.

Thankyou for taking the time to read this ^-^

Maybe if you could send a picture of the tank I could give some advice on decorations :) I think LED lights with a pink color could work! I'm going to search on the Internet to see if anything like what you want shows up, aquarium safe.

I saw a video on FB (I know questionable source) but she put a mesh hammock in the upper half of the tank for hers

Thank You, I have seen this idea recommend by an axolotl YouTuber too, and I will take it into consideration ^-^

Thank You so much! I was actually thinking of having fairy lights hanging behind the tank but yeah I will try and send a picture, if I can figure out how ^-^

Maybe if you could send a picture of the tank I could give some advice on decorations :) I think LED lights with a pink color could work! I'm going to search on the Internet to see if anything like what you want shows up, aquarium safe.

Picture of my aquarium: (it's pretty weird looking)
*Moderator Edit - link removed - Didn't work
Does that work? If not I can try another way ^-^

Last edited by a moderator:
It worked this time!

Since you said you are crafty...

Once a long time back, I purchased a handmade fabric tank background which had somewhat batik blue pattern, you could use your favorite tropical pattern. They hemmed it on all sides and sewed Velcro to the top and bottom to adhere the fabric to the tank, with the the hook part self sticking on the tank and the soft side sew on the fabric. Easy to remove and wash if needed.

Other options also are bamboo or woven place mats attached to the back.

You might even make a shadow box filled with flowers or whatever decorations you want that way you could also change it out. That would be nice because the Axolotls to allow them maximum room and you could have cute fun stuff for the tank.

The problem with flower stems in the aquarium is the wire inside can rust, and the plastic flowers can be scratchy, kind of sharp. So considering how a plastic flower / leaf would feel to their skin would be a big consideration

And some fairy lights are water safe (used in vases)- I would NOT add them inside the water of the tank but attach something like that outside of the tank, but water safe options only of course.

It worked this time!

Since you said you are crafty...

Once a long time back, I purchased a handmade fabric tank background which had somewhat batik blue pattern, you could use your favorite tropical pattern. They hemmed it on all sides and sewed Velcro to the top and bottom to adhere the fabric to the tank, with the the hook part self sticking on the tank and the soft side sew on the fabric. Easy to remove and wash if needed.

Other options also are bamboo or woven place mats attached to the back.

You might even make a shadow box filled with flowers or whatever decorations you want that way you could also change it out. That would be nice because the Axolotls to allow them maximum room and you could have cute fun stuff for the tank.

The problem with flower stems in the aquarium is the wire inside can rust, and the plastic flowers can be scratchy, kind of sharp. So considering how a plastic flower / leaf would feel to their skin would be a big consideration

Thank you so much for the advice, I will take all this into consideration when putting together a theme. Sorry for the late reply, my computer wouldn't turn on.

Back
Top Bottom