Decoration ideas for middle/top of tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sssea

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello friends!

I was rearranging my tank today a noticed I have a lot of bare space toward the middle and top of my tank. I'm curious to see if anyone has some ideas on a good (preferably inexpensive) way to make this space more visually appealing. Bonus points if it's diy because I love making stuff. Plants are pretty out of the question because I've killed every plant I've ever owned. I would love to see how you guys have dealt with this problem.

Now let's get creative!!!

Attachments

• image-3212753630.jpg
    image-3212753630.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 186
How about you float a piece of driftwood??? You can tie thread to the driftwood and then let it float but it's still being held down by the thread.

I really like the idea of manzanita dw, but they're just too expensive for me. I'm a poor college student on a budget :p

If you're careful you can use natural driftwood. You'd have to ask here or research which driftwood from where are safe to use (trees vs beaches, etc) and you'd have to probably boil and soak the heck out of it for a long time, but it would be free :) Same with rocks.

I think you first need a backing color/pattern for the tank. The clear back is making it look more plain.

I think a tall driftwood is your answer. Maybe there is a DIY way to accomplish this or you can check eBay/craigslist.

You could get a piece of tall driftwood or an artificial wood stump decoration and go to a craft store like Hobby Lobby or Michael's and buy some of their silk plants and create your own centerpiece from the wood and plants... a great do it yourself project :) It's what I did in my tank and it looks beautiful!

Are silk plants/flowers acceptable for aquarium use or should I stick with plants specifically made for them?

Are silk plants/flowers acceptable for aquarium use or should I stick with plants specifically made for them?

A lot of plants that are made for aquariums are silk and plastic, so I am assuming that ordinary ones are the same since they are the same. I have had mine for a while and everything has worked out well so far

I would love to use some lovely silk flowers! Does anyone else have experience with using them? I would hate to put something in my tank that would hurt my little guys.

Petsmart near me had some backgrounds on clearance. I got a plain blue one, with what looks like some sort of bubbles or something,for $.67 a foot. I had to cut it because it was too tall, but I have blue gravel and it looks good with it. They also had some other types on sale.

Karentcs2 said:
You could get a piece of tall driftwood or an artificial wood stump decoration and go to a craft store like Hobby Lobby or Michael's and buy some of their silk plants and create your own centerpiece from the wood and plants... a great do it yourself project :) It's what I did in my tank and it looks beautiful!

Can we see your tank? Please

we have fake floating plants in one of the top corners and it kinda hangs down a little in the tank. my fish love swimming through it

Can we see your tank? Please

img_1474138_0_ead1ab8a4049f03b0e46c0197c198f67.jpg

It's not the best picture quality, but here you go :)

Be careful of plants that are not specifically for aquariums. Silk plants not made for our tanks may have stems of metal like steel etc. that will eventually rust in your tank.

MDChurch said:
Be careful of plants that are not specifically for aquariums. Silk plants not made for our tanks may have stems of metal like steel etc. that will eventually rust in your tank.

So if I find some without metal, they should be okay, right?

Back
Top Bottom