Deformed platy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Laurie

Aquarium Advice Activist
I posted this in the unhealthy fish section a couple of weeks ago and got no replies. I really want to know if she's ok. Any help or advice is welcome and thank you!

Not sure if I should be concerned for her or not. A several weeks ago she had a very difficult birth of mostly aborted fry. She was all over the tank dropping them and very stressed. Since then, she has become deformed. Her baby birthing area (don't know the technical term) has remained swollen and the top of her is very hunched. She acts normal. Perfectly normal. Eat well, swims and plays with the others just fine. Just funny looking. The other fish in the tank have had no issues at all. In fact one of the females just had some fry. Should I be concerned? I don't want to euthanize her if it's just a deformity and not an illness. She's a very happy girl. Plus the male doesn't bother her anymore! LOL

I've attached a photo. Not very clear but you can see how she's shaped.

Attachments

• 1234.jpg
    1234.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 677
I have a Mooly fish going through the same problem right now except some days she eats and some days she doesn't. Not sure what the problem is but if I hear anything I will pass it onto you.

Thanks! I appreciate your response. I really think she's fine except just deformed. She behaves perfectly normal.

I would say if she is acting normal then I would not worry about it. Have you tried calling a local fish store at all? They might have some answers for you.

I would say if she is acting normal then I would not worry about it. Have you tried calling a local fish store at all? They might have some answers for you.

I am not sure calling LFS would do any good most are clueless when it comes to fish. Could try it tho.

I am not sure calling LFS would do any good most are clueless when it comes to fish. Could try it tho.
That is true but trying won't hurt really. Guess I'm used to having a family owned one close by that are awesome with all types of animals but they specialize in fish mainly.

Hmmmmmm.

I had this happen to one of my girls a while back. Looks like the same thing. She died fairly quickly as well.

This happened in a tank with Fish TB, and the spinal deformity is evident, but I'm not 100% on what caused it still. It seems to afflict platies specifically from time to time.

Hmmmmmm.

I had this happen to one of my girls a while back. Looks like the same thing. She died fairly quickly as well.

This happened in a tank with Fish TB, and the spinal deformity is evident, but I'm not 100% on what caused it still. It seems to afflict platies specifically from time to time.

Yes, that looks very much like my girl did. Apparently it's not contagious and that was my main concern, the other platies in the tank.

Thank you all for your replies.

Awww sorry to hear that. :(. My Molly has been like that for 3 weeks now, just hope they are not struggling. I hate problems that are hard to diagnose.

Back
Top Bottom