Demon Gourami

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RyanChance

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I had a blue powder gourami (about 2-3") in a 5 gallon tank with a very young red-finned shark. These are the fish I replaced my old ones with after my friend killed all of mine (and it was HORRIBLE -- not for the faint of stomach) over Christmas.
Anyway, the two fish got along quite well for the past four months -- no aggression ever. Then this weekend I woke up one morning to find my shark dead. Not just dead but mostly eaten. Gouramis aren't supposed to eat other fish as I understand it. Kill them maybe -- but consume them?
Anyone have any similar experiences? This summer I am getting a 30 gallon tank after I put down a wood floor but I am actually worried this fish will do that again and then it's not just a territory issue. At that point would it make sense to put it down since it can't live with anything?

-C-

I realize it seems crazy to theorize on an evil fish but it ate the shark. It was missing a lot of flesh and half its face (I've never seen a fish get mutiliated like that).
Is this normal behavior for a gourami?

I think most fish will pick at the flesh of a dead fish, I know I have seen it before. But I can't say for gourami.

Thats normal behaviour for most (if not all) fish. Even goldfish pick and eat at the dead. I don't know if your gourami killed your shark, but I'm not suprised at the scavenging.

I am pretty sure he killed it. The shark was perfectly healthy before that (good color, active, ate plenty). Maybe it was just scavenging but I get the feeling that the gourami killed that fish to eat it. Sounds weird but maybe. I've thought about buying a danio or something else similar in size to the shark (preferably cheap) to use as a test. If it were to turn up dead and ripped apart I'd know.
And yet somehow it seems like cruelty if the gourami takes the bait. Would it be unethical to sacrifice a smaller fish to it just to see what happens?

How big is your tank? Do you have any other gouramis? Is the demon fish a male? He may have killed it if they are in a very small tank. Gouramis are territorial, especially around other gouramis and their bubble-nests. (I have been learning this with my male and female). My male chases and nips at anything that comes close to him or his nest.

It's a five gallon hex -- I think it's a male gourami because of the thin sides and he was with a red-fin shark (little one).

Back
Top Bottom