Diatom Sucks!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brian93

Aquarium Advice Newbie
This stuff just started showing up about 3 1/2 weeks ago. I don't have it as bad some tanks I've seen online when researching this stuff. I have cut my light down to about 4 hours a day, that's about as low as I feel comfortable with plants I have. I'm going to get 2 Otocinclus fish this weekend. From what I have ready they like to eat this stuff. I cant do much about the flow of my water with my current setup. So I'm really putting all my faith in these 2 Otocinclus! I guess what they don't get I'll continue to clean by hand. Hopefully this stuff goes away on its on. I do weekly water changes, 20% of my 40 gallon breeder. Below is a before and after shot. If anyone has any other ideas to keep this stuff a bay please let me know.

Attachments

• before.jpg
    before.jpg
    253.1 KB · Views: 69
  • after.jpg
    after.jpg
    253.2 KB · Views: 84
Test for siicate levels in your water. Phosban silicate remover. Take the silicate out of the water and the diatoms die.

The best way to get rid of diatoms is better water changes. Between 40-60%. They will go away on their own, faster with cleaner water.

Back
Top Bottom