Did my cycle crash after major illness?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ferocious Fish

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey all,

I've been browsing these forums for a few weeks now, as about a month ago my in-laws gave my husband and me their 28 gallon semi-aggressive tank since they were moving from Idaho to Texas. Just a few days after we acquired the tank, we moved into a new place which let us have the fish (and I got my 10 gallon back from my friends who were "watching" it...turns out all the fish had ammonia posioning :( )

Not knowing much about fish, I added some tiger barbs to school with the lone albino tiger barb, without quarantining them first. They brought in ich and I won't go into details here but disease after disease kept popping up and as of just a few days ago I now have just one lone giant danio left in the tank, who looks healthy but bored.

I thought I might have been disowned from the family for killing off most of the tank :facepalm:

My API master test kit finally arrived today and I got the following readings:

pH: 8.0
Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 0

I did a treatment of Maracyn earlier and after that got some Kordon Rid Ich+ which finally killed the ich, but I'm not sure if the medications killed my cycle or not. I had an ammonia test kit that came with the tank and that always read 0 but the complete lack of nitrates makes me wonder....I did a massive water change yesterday, disinfected the decorations/fake plants and scrubbed the filter tubing really well. I am just wondering...is my tank just immaculate, or are all my beneficial bacteria dead?

I wouldn't do anymore pwc's until you start getting readings of either ammonia or trates. Hopefully it's trates and indicating your bb survived the meds. Just keep feeding your daino and test daily till something pops up.
If it goes more than a few days w/out a reading then I'd start questioning the accuracy of the test kit.

Ferocious Fish said:
Hey all,

I've been browsing these forums for a few weeks now, as about a month ago my in-laws gave my husband and me their 28 gallon semi-aggressive tank since they were moving from Idaho to Texas. Just a few days after we acquired the tank, we moved into a new place which let us have the fish (and I got my 10 gallon back from my friends who were "watching" it...turns out all the fish had ammonia posioning :( )

Not knowing much about fish, I added some tiger barbs to school with the lone albino tiger barb, without quarantining them first. They brought in ich and I won't go into details here but disease after disease kept popping up and as of just a few days ago I now have just one lone giant danio left in the tank, who looks healthy but bored.

I thought I might have been disowned from the family for killing off most of the tank :facepalm:

My API master test kit finally arrived today and I got the following readings:

pH: 8.0
Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 0

I did a treatment of Maracyn earlier and after that got some Kordon Rid Ich+ which finally killed the ich, but I'm not sure if the medications killed my cycle or not. I had an ammonia test kit that came with the tank and that always read 0 but the complete lack of nitrates makes me wonder....I did a massive water change yesterday, disinfected the decorations/fake plants and scrubbed the filter tubing really well. I am just wondering...is my tank just immaculate, or are all my beneficial bacteria dead?

You just killed all the bacteria in that tank. You'll have to start from scratch now. Read this article.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/i-jus...g-but-I-already-have-fish-What-now/Page2.html

Back
Top Bottom