Discus coming tomorrow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ive been breeding discus as a hobby for 6 yrs now. i have some advice, take it for what it is, just what works for me. Rule 1, lol, relax. Dont over worry abt your discus. Ive found if they are healthy and hearty, and its conditioned tap water then they're fine with floating the bags for 20 then releasing them. If its RO water, youll need to do a drip acclimation. 2 water changes at 30% a week should be fine. Thats a solid amount of removal and return. Lots of plants and driftwoid are good for them to have places to step away from the limelight. I suggest leaving the lights ofg for the first day. Then normal behaviour with your tank after that. Food is easy, you'll find what they like, and rotate a few things with it. Discus are commonly known to be hard to keep. But a lot of that is bevause of weak strains and breeding. If your discus are happy and healthy, then a full colorful life is easy. Welcone to the darkside.

Discus Love.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Osmotic shock is a real thing and a lot of fish end up dying from it. If the fish is from a LFS that's truly local and uses the same water source I wouldn't really worry about it. However, if the water isn't the same as yours then by far the best practice is to acclimate the fish to the new water slowly.

Blurb about osmotic shock:
From: Aquarium tropical fish disease diagnostics. Fish treatment. Sick fish, ill fish, cure fish.
Osmotic shock
A sudden change in salt concentration (for example, if fish are transferred without gradual acclimatization from the water with a different mineral level). This causes death within 2-3 days and is a common reason for high mortality rates among newly introduced fish. High-concentration salt baths (used to treat, for example, external parasites) can also cause osmotic shock. All fish that show adverse reactions to such baths should be immediately returned into fresh water.
In less dangerous cases, when the difference in water conductivity is small, mucous membranes will flake away, which causes secondary infections. When the difference in is big, cartilaginous parts of fins can snap under high osmotic pressure. Large pieces of fins begin to fall off and the resulting wounds can be infected with fungi and bacteria, which happens because fish are weakened. Ammonia can also have an adverse effect on osmoregulation.

Prevention:
Osmotic shock can be avoided by gradually (sometimes within several days) balancing osmotic gradients between the fish’s present and new habitat by means of water change. Under no circumstances should be fish exposed to sudden changes in the chemical composition of water.

Note that: Salts is in reference to mineral salts and not just aquarium salt. This refers to Potassium, calcium, phosphate, magnesium, etc.

Why spend an obscene amount of money and risk losing a fish when you could just spend 30 minutes acclimating the properly. If it could potentially save you from losing a $60 fish wouldn't that be worth it?

Osmotic shock is a real thing and a lot of fish end up dying from it. If the fish is from a LFS that's truly local and uses the same water source I wouldn't really worry about it. However, if the water isn't the same as yours then by far the best practice is to acclimate the fish to the new water slowly.

Blurb about osmotic shock:

From: Aquarium tropical fish disease diagnostics. Fish treatment. Sick fish, ill fish, cure fish.

Osmotic shock

A sudden change in salt concentration (for example, if fish are transferred without gradual acclimatization from the water with a different mineral level). This causes death within 2-3 days and is a common reason for high mortality rates among newly introduced fish. High-concentration salt baths (used to treat, for example, external parasites) can also cause osmotic shock. All fish that show adverse reactions to such baths should be immediately returned into fresh water.

In less dangerous cases, when the difference in water conductivity is small, mucous membranes will flake away, which causes secondary infections. When the difference in is big, cartilaginous parts of fins can snap under high osmotic pressure. Large pieces of fins begin to fall off and the resulting wounds can be infected with fungi and bacteria, which happens because fish are weakened. Ammonia can also have an adverse effect on osmoregulation.

Prevention:

Osmotic shock can be avoided by gradually (sometimes within several days) balancing osmotic gradients between the fish’s present and new habitat by means of water change. Under no circumstances should be fish exposed to sudden changes in the chemical composition of water.

Note that: Salts is in reference to mineral salts and not just aquarium salt. This refers to Potassium, calcium, phosphate, magnesium, etc.

Why spend an obscene amount of money and risk losing a fish when you could just spend 30 minutes acclimating the properly. If it could potentially save you from losing a $60 fish wouldn't that be worth it?

Let me make sure I read that correctly... So after proper acclimation you can't do a water change for a few days because the gradients in the water would be a sudden change causing stress to the newly introduced fish?

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Let me make sure I read that correctly... So after proper acclimation you can't do a water change for a few days because the gradients in the water would be a sudden change causing stress to the newly introduced fish?

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

No, dumping fish into water that they aren't acclimated to could cause death within 2 - 3 days.

If they are acclimated to the water properly and you do a water change (with similar water) then they are already acclimated to the water parameters and there shouldn't be any swing so no problems.

No, dumping fish into water that they aren't acclimated to could cause death within 2 - 3 days.

If they are acclimated to the water properly and you do a water change (with similar water) then they are already acclimated to the water parameters and there shouldn't be any swing so no problems.

Got it ✌? thanks for the clarification.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Wow! What i said got taken as dump your fish in the water. Whoa.... Lol

. Rule 1, lol, relax. Dont over worry abt your discus. Ive found if they are healthy and hearty, and its conditioned tap water then they're fine with floating the bags for 20 then releasing them. If its RO water, youll need to do a drip acclimation.
Wow! What i said got taken as dump your fish in the water. Whoa.... Lol

Float for 20 and then release them. Directly quoted from what you said and i honestly couldnt disagree more.

Wow.... im not here to argue. I was just offering advice from my years with discus. Thats why i prefaced it with, " take it for what it is, just whats worked for me". You obviously missed the drip acclimation part, and the knowing what type of water there from. Be it conditioned tap, or RO. I wasn't trying to sound or act like an expert. Ive just had good luck with it. Thanks for looking down your nose at me. The pics of my discus obviously show that they werent acclimated.

Oh and there not from a local fish store. I get them imported from lawrence soon @ lucky tropicals in mylasia. So local water has nothing to do with it. Thats why discus keeping is commonly reffered to as the darkside. There are more weak gene discus than strong gene ones running around.

Wow.... im not here to argue. I was just offering advice from my years with discus. Thats why i prefaced it with, " take it for what it is, just whats worked for me". You obviously missed the drip acclimation part, and the knowing what type of water there from. Be it conditioned tap, or RO. I wasn't trying to sound or act like an expert. Ive just had good luck with it. Thanks for looking down your nose at me. The pics of my discus obviously show that they werent acclimated.

You clearly said if they're healthy stock just float them for 20 min. and drop them in. But you also said that if its RO to drip acclimate. I honestly would never take any fish and just toss it in the tank after floating it for 20 min. RO or not. I've never kept discus though so I would know first hand specifically for them.

It truly does work for me. Sorry for upsetting everyone. Advice, opinions, community.

Last edited by a moderator:
Candymancan's Discus

It truly does work for me. Sorry for upseting everyone. Advice, opinions, community.

What you recommended is a little unorthodox and opposite opinions should be expected.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was just the big NO under my quote. Cant say no if its continually working for me. Caught me a lil sideways.

Disagreeing and giving supporting information for my reason is hardly "looking down my nose at you" That is doing the responsible thing and passing on information to help people make informed decisions regarding their fish care. If you see that as condescending, then you're in for a rough time on the Internet because that happens a lot on every community site in existence.

Yes, it is vital to understand the water where you get the discus from, but lumping them into 2 categories: conditioned tap and ro and basing your decision on that is severely misinformed. For example, i often go an hour south from where I live to get fish. They use conditioned tap there which in your scenario would be okay to float in my tank for 20 minutes and dump them in. However, they dont have as much limestone down there adding minerals to their water down there so their parameters are vastly different. Hence the statement that fish should be properly acclimated before adding them to your tank.

Now look at things from a new aquarist's (which we have a huge number of here on this forum) point of view. They see your post stating that if both tanks are tap water just float them and dump them so they do that. Then some all of their discus die from osmotic shock because the store they bought them from had a vastly different water source and they didnt spend half an hour acclimating them.

Im trying to figure out how to share the link for the info i have from my importer at chicago discus. Just cant figure out how to put a link from webpage to the mobile app .

Im trying to figure out how to share the link for the info i have from my importer at chicago discus. Just cant figure out how to put a link from webpage to the mobile app .

Its going to depend on your phone, often you can press down after highlighting to copy and then do the same to paste in the reply.

Just so you know im not spouting irresponsible info. Miranda miller is a bio chemist.

Back
Top Bottom