DIY Drop checker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NigelK8485

Aquarium Advice Addict
So, my little Fluval drop checker is terrible. Won't stop leaking, all the liquid runs out of it. I ended up ordering the glass pearl one from greenleaf...but since the drop checker was already more than I was planning to spend, I went with the cheapest shipping.

Since the CO2 is new I'd like to have a drop checker to hold me over until the new one arrives so I threw this together real quick, do you think it'll work? Just a little glass bottle I had, tubing, the solution from the Fluval drop checker, and since I couldn't find a suction cup to fit the bottle I mounted it to the rim of the tank.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425396245.336449.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425396259.722340.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425396281.544010.jpg

I know the tubing is kind of close to the surface but as long as it'll give me a somewhat rough estimate of what my levels are at I'll be okay.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

That should work, however, it may take a while for it to respond to changes because of the size of the tubing that is underwater (not much air-water contact surface area). Attaching larger tubing to the end (or even a very small funnel) should increase gas exchange.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

That should work, however, it may take a while for it to respond to changes because of the size of the tubing that is underwater (not much air-water contact surface area). Attaching larger tubing to the end (or even a very small funnel) should increase gas exchange.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have some longer tubing but it wouldn't be going straight down into the water, it'd basically be a curve that ends pointing horizontally so I wasn't sure if that would work.

I do have some wiggle room in the bottle and could pull the tubing in it now down some to give it more length underwater.

I had that issue with fluval dc at first too, just simply wet the o ring with water prior to closing. That solution won't to.much in an open space with put 4dkh to lighten it up. Works with fluval dc due to limited space between white background and viewing surfaces

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I had that issue with fluval dc at first too, just simply wet the o ring with water prior to closing. That solution won't to.much in an open space with put 4dkh to lighten it up. Works with fluval dc due to limited space between white background and viewing surfaces

I've been googling all over trying to find any solution, I knew I couldn't be the only person that the Fluval was leaking on. I'm gonna give that a try. I'm going to be pissed if it works and I just spent $50 on a glass drop checker.

Edit: Thank God, it didn't work. The solution just went floating out from around the o-ring.

You could also get a glass drop checker on eBay. Even the domestic ones (most are from China and under $5) you should be able to find for $5-$10. Some members on tpt also sell them, and I know at least one used to sell them here on AA (haven't seen him post in a while though).

You could also get a glass drop checker on eBay. Even the domestic ones (most are from China and under $5) you should be able to find for $5-$10. Some members on tpt also sell them, and I know at least one used to sell them here on AA (haven't seen him post in a while though).

I already have a glass one on the way, this is just until that one shows up. All the little cheap glass ones I saw on eBay or Amazon were shipping from Malaysia or China and would take forever to get here and didn't qualify for Amazon Prime.

I already have a glass one on the way, this is just until that one shows up. All the little cheap glass ones I saw on eBay or Amazon were shipping from Malaysia or China and would take forever to get here and didn't qualify for Amazon Prime.

Mine took 2 weeks... did you order 4dkh solution as well?

How long is the shipping supposed to take from GLA?

N/M just saw your last post. Priority mail souls get there in a day or two once shipped.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom