Do fancy guppies need a heater?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The answer about the heater is how warm do you keep your house? I have several tanks and don't use heaters but I do use fans to cool the tanks when the lights are on.

My house is usually 74 but my room is downstairs. At night I keep the light on and turn it off during the day. If needed I have a heater in my room I could turn on low if needed?!?!

im guessing you are getting a ten gallon tank. If you have the tank or while the tank is cycling you can take the temp and if it is between 70-80 degrees then your good no heater is needed.

Homer8 said:
im guessing you are getting a ten gallon tank. If you have the tank or while the tank is cycling you can take the temp and if it is between 70-80 degrees then your good no heater is needed.

Yes I have a ten gallon tank

For 2 dollars buy a thermometer. Check the temp after a few hours and I it's in range you'll know if you need a heater. Just remember that weather and temperatures change throughout the year and any quick temperature changes plus or minus 2 degrees to your fish rapidly can be fatal to them. Especially small fry.

For a ten gallon tank, you should only need a 50watt heater. They run about 15-20 dollars for the standard 78 degree unchangeable or 25-30 for the more variable ones that adjust between 68-88 degrees

It's a process which allows beneficial bacteria to grow inside your filter, and for your water levels to stabilize. That means, that you fill your new tank up with water, but a shrimp in there. Let it rot away. And raise your ammonia, after that you just have to five it time for the ammonia to convert to nitrite and then to nitrate. A lot of people have really good links for cyclic your tank. Just give it some time. They will help you. Or make a new post.

They didn't have fancy guppies in stock and showed me a new breed called lyretail guppies. I got a heater and before I put my fish in I am going to let the tank warm up.. It have a convenient little light that is red and turns green when the tank reaches 72•. My tank was COLD! So it could be a while..

If I were you, I wouldn't geta male and a female or you'll soon be overrun with babies! Unless you have another tank or plans for them.

Are you planning on putting the guppies in with your snails or did you get a second tank? How are the snails doing by the way?

Back
Top Bottom