Do I need to clean aquarium sand before putting it in my aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MineShaker

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just wondering because I don't have anything to clean it out with ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1449085296.418201.jpg

Sent from the crayfish lover Mine Shaker

If you have a five gallon bucket that'd work. It's always good to at least rinse it

Sini's my personal bucket lugger..er, I mean husband

If you have a five gallon bucket that'd work. It's always good to at least rinse it

Sini's my personal bucket lugger..er, I mean husband

But would it be fine if I added it and did a water change?

But would it be fine if I added it and did a water change?

I used to think that, but my water in my multi tank turns white every time I kick up sand during a water change. I would rinse it first. Don't you have a fish bucket?

I used to think that, but my water in my multi tank turns white every time I kick up sand during a water change. I would rinse it first. Don't you have a fish bucket?

No

I used that same sand last night and would definitely recommend rinsing it. Not only are there regular floaters but also sand bubbles. Mine was only for a 5g so I could clean it in a water pitcher that I only use for my tanks.

Buy a bucket and rinse it well. It tedious but not as bad as trying to undo the damage by adding dusty sand to a tank. Rinsing it in smaller batches it easier and more effective.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

The floaters suck... get it all washed up and scoop or dump the wet sand.. fill slowly.. I used the other version and found a bunch in the skimmer.. (sand has no business in a surface skimmer)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Just make 1 hole on each end of the bag and stick a water hose through it, And then rinse all the sand and all the floating sand will go out of it.

Sent from my VS986 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom