Do I need to QT snails before adding them?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joey P

Aquarium Advice Activist
About two weeks ago I started having some problems with brown algae. I'm sure it's just it's mainly from over feeding as that's about the time I started feeding them a lot more (but no more then they could eat in about 2 minutes). I'm scaling back their food and keeping the lights on less, but I'm reading that snails can help keep algae at bay as well.

So, my question is, can I buy some snails and just toss them right in the tank or to I need to QT them first? I promised myself I wasn't going to toss anymore money at this tank for a while. A few snails, I'm okay with, but I don't want to spend $50-$100 setting up a second tank right now. Especially since if that tank is ready, I'll end up spending another $50 on fish a week later.

Some websites say no, saying any thing the snails carry can't be transferred to fish, some say you need to worry about ich cysts. Some say you can rinse them off in tank water. So, it's really all over the place.

first off, what snails? the only snails that are well known for really eating algae are nerites...if you have really expensive fish or are really concerned about the source, then i'd QT, but otherwise it is pointless...I have never QT'd snails ever...I own discus, but always had a good source so no worries...i'd just acclimate and then place snails into your tank WITHOUT using the water they came in so only your water stays...throw out their water...

MTS and ramshorns may eat algae but it will be less significant when compared to nerites...I have 3 nerites in my 29G with 2 T5HO bulbs without Co2 and almost no algae despite the high lighting...

what size tank? maybe just buy a few otos or a BN pleco?

I have a BN Pleco. The glass is spotless, whether it's because of him or the algae just isn't that bad yet, I don't know. All the algae is on the fake plants. Either way, I've been looking to get some snails anyways.
My original post mentioned nerites, but then I did some reading and thought they were only for saltwater.

I picked up three Zebra Nerites, crossed my fingers (acclimated them) and tossed them in. Then I had to run an errand and when I got back one of them was gone. Still haven't been able to find it. The other two have since moved under a piece of drift wood and I'm guessing the third is behind the drift wood somewhere. I'm sure it'll come out when it's hungry.

They also had some kind of Gold Fiddler Crab (does that sound right) in the same tank and I was tempted to pick one of those up as well, but they said my barbs might pick on it.

I picked up three Zebra Nerites, crossed my fingers (acclimated them) and tossed them in. Then I had to run an errand and when I got back one of them was gone. Still haven't been able to find it. The other two have since moved under a piece of drift wood and I'm guessing the third is behind the drift wood somewhere. I'm sure it'll come out when it's hungry.

They also had some kind of Gold Fiddler Crab (does that sound right) in the same tank and I was tempted to pick one of those up as well, but they said my barbs might pick on it.

I just got 2 zebra nerites today also. While changing my substrate I lost one (even with NOTHING in it I couldn't find It!) I was taking out black gravel so I thought I pulled it out also. Low and behold, it's sitting on the glass hours later.

Back
Top Bottom