Do plecos have teeth???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dimitri146

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i was just wondering if they do because i have a dwarf gold nugget pleco in a 6 gallon tank with 2 african dwarf frogs and whenever they are near eachother the pleco will either try to kinda get on top of the frog and "suck" on its back or sometimes its foot. it doesnt seem to be violent most of the time but sometimes the frog willl just take off all of the sudden. there skin looks ok but i dont know if this is a problem or what. sometimes they just pass eachother by and nothing happens. anyone know about this? is the pleco just establishing dominace?

yes, pleco have teeth like formations for rasping algae and wood.

large plecos also sometimes rasp on good tasting fish (or your frog maybe?)

I've read some info that it is harmfull, but it must not be too frequently so, given the pleco is a commonly found fish in many aquariums.

Yeah, kinda............they have bone formations that help them to scrape away at thier chosen foods.

Plecs are NOTORIOUS for feeding on week or dying/dead fishies.
Especially when they get larger and require greater amounts of protien in thier diet.
MOST Plecs after reaching more than 8" become almost predatory in thier eating habits.

Pimpin

I had a pleco in an acrylic tank and it scratched the tank walls with its raspy teeth in the process of eating algae.

Back
Top Bottom