Do schooling fish need to be in odd numbers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eco23

Aquarium Advice Addict
At the lfs stocking right now. Owner tells me I need odd numbers of fish like tetras and zebra danios. I was planning on getting 8 of each. Quick help please?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium

for schooling fish no the minimum is 6+ you should be fine with 8 provided they have enough swimming room and a resionably size tank

eco23 said:
At the lfs stocking right now. Owner tells me I need odd numbers of fish like tetras and zebra danios. I was planning on getting 8 of each. Quick help please?

I was told 5-6 minimum. Even numbers make more sense to me unless the LFS can explain why odd numbers are best.

Please let us know.

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium Advice App

It's a 48 gallon. Lfs told me they'll fight to establish dominance if they're in even numbers. God knows I don't trust the lfs, but figured I'd check with the experts... You guys.

eco23 said:
It's a 48 gallon. Lfs told me they'll fight to establish dominance if they're in even numbers. God knows I don't trust the lfs, but figured I'd check with the experts... You guys.

Maybe he was thinking wolves and got confused lol.

Some fish do better in odd numbers. Oddly, both schools of tetras I have are odd numbers (11 in both). That's not normally an issue with most tetras or danios though. I think 6 would be fine.

im no expert but honestly i think youll be fine with a even number if worse comes to worse add one fish or rehome one id take his adive with a grain of salt imo go for the even number

I have an even number of danios (6) and there never seems to be a dominant one when I watch them. They just trade off on who gets to chase who, or tease one of the Moors :).

I'd just stick to the original plan. As a firm believer of the buddy system, at least everybody can have a mate/friend.

Hey, can you guys check my other thread I posted a bit ago about tracking ammo > no2? I've got a question I need answered fairly quickly at the end of the thread

Fish can't count, so odd or even should make no difference. At least it never seemed to in my experience. They only know when it feels right with company they have. I usually recommend a minimum of 6 fish for schooling/shoaling species.

Shadowraven said:
Fish can't count, so odd or even should make no difference. At least it never seemed to in my experience. They only know when it feels right with company they have. I usually recommend a minimum of 6 fish for schooling/shoaling species.

Just got some more Cardinal Tetras and I asked about this. Apparently there's been oceanographic studies going on at seaquariums and odd numbered schools are being recorded more and more. Of course he wanted to sell me 3, so YMMV :)!

I got 9 neon tetras, 7 round bodies red eye tetras and 8 Glo fish. I guess I can do my own little experiment and see which, if any group is happier.

I guess that it is possible. You can find instances in nature where odd numbers are favored. The golden ratio or Fibonacci numbers seem to favor this. It's not like I've done a study of this. You may be right!

The odd number of fish is usually recommended for fin nippers like tiger barbs. it has been repeated enough times over the years, in many books, that it may be true, or not.

It's been less than 24 hours...so not exactly a scientific conclusion... But the 2 groups with odd numbers are more peaceful so far, there might be something to this. The neons and red eyes are keeping tightly together while the Glo fish / danio group of 8 are definitely chasing each other around a bit. I know they're much more active fish which probably has something to do with it, but there might be some truth in all of this. If they still chase each other in a week, I'm gonna go get another danio and see if they calm down in a group of 9.

eco23 said:
It's been less than 24 hours...so not exactly a scientific conclusion... But the 2 groups with odd numbers are more peaceful so far, there might be something to this. The neons and red eyes are keeping tightly together while the Glo fish / danio group of 8 are definitely chasing each other around a bit. I know they're much more active fish which probably has something to do with it, but there might be some truth in all of this. If they still chase each other in a week, I'm gonna go get another danio and see if they calm down in a group of 9.

Interesting observation and please post, as my 6 pack of danios are always chasing each other.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom