Do these fish Up root plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nathenrauch

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have 2 silver-tip sharks, 6 tiger barbs, and 2 Leporinus Fasciatus. I was wondering if i could plant live plants or not?

They will probably be fine in a planted tank, but please make sure they are kept in a very large tank. The Leporinus and silver-tipped sharks can reach over a foot long!

David

Silver tipped sharks do need brackish water. I learned that the hard way. RIP Bandit! :'(
I would suggest returning those. Also, how big is your tank?

Of course you can have some real plants it would be a good idea. If you think they might be uprooted weigh them down and get them in pots.

Silver tipped sharks do need brackish water. I learned that the hard way. RIP Bandit! :'(
I would suggest returning those. Also, how big is your tank?
I have a 90 gallon, how long did it take for your fish to die? mine seem fine!

Those 2 Sharks that you have are Columbian Catfish and they require salt as they get older. I also have a Leporinus and it likes to go after shiny fish from my experience. My Leporinus also went into hiding permanently after I added 3 plants in my tank. I can't figure out why it's basically dug up all the gravel in one area of my tank under a decoration. It stays there all day until I turn off the lights and then it comes out and swims around. I have to feed it when it's dark since it will not come out to eat when the lights are on or if its daylight.

Eventually you'll end up having to move those two sharks to a regular saltwater tank. I'm going to end up having to do the same thing or just trade them for something else. Putting salt in a freshwater tank isn't the best thing you can do since it bothers your other fish. Salt is only good for disease in freshwater tanks and short term usage.

Eventually you'll end up having to move those two sharks to a regular saltwater tank. I'm going to end up having to do the same thing or just trade them for something else. Putting salt in a freshwater tank isn't the best thing you can do since it bothers your other fish. Salt is only good for disease in freshwater tanks and short term usage.

I dont think the concentration of salt the sharks like is of that of a regular saltwater tank, more brackish than saline. Correct me if im wrong?

I'm not sure on specifics but I did do some reading online and it was saying that they can be put in a normal saltwater environment. I wish that I could give you the name of the site that I read it on since I was curious as to how much salt to mix in the water and thats when I read they can be put in with regular saltwater fish. I'm thinking about trading mine in for something else since I don't want a saltwater tank.

This what I just read for those sharks/catfish. The water should have some sea salt added and measure a salinity of 1.005 to 1.015.

That's one thing that no website I've seen say at what size so that would be hard for me to tell you. I don't want to give you any wrong information about that part of things.

Return or rehome the Sharks. They need to start going to Brackish at 4-6" if I remember right. They transition to Full Saltwater.

And they get a foot.

Leporinus should be in groups of 8-10. 5 or 6 is usually bare minimum. They get either super shy or usually super aggressive as singles or in tiny groups. They get pretty big too.

Back
Top Bottom