Does it make a difference?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MiamiFishy

Aquarium Advice Activist
:D Hello everybody!

I posted some pictures of my tanks for you all to check out. Thanks in advance for all your help, past and present.
And now as is expected, I got another question.
:roll:
Im sure it has been answered before, just cant seem to find the answer, so here it goes:
my main tank is 29 gal and still has its original fluorescent light strip, which its rated at 15 Wts. Since am planning on adding some real plants ( mostly to help my fry have a better chance- java moss has been suggested ) i find it that the 15w will only provide 0.5 wpg. So, I made some calculations as suggested using the Xwatts x XGallons and come up that something in the range of 40-45 watts bulb is called for, producing about 1.4 wpg. Is that right right?
Ok here is the dumb question of the day, would adding two fluorescent strips of 30W or 25W equal the same as one large 60W or 50 W??
( 30W + 30W = 60 W x 29ga= 2.0 wpg????)
that is in case i cant find a 40 or 45 W single strip... but is that right??
Thanks. :D

MiamiFishy said:
:D Hello everybody!

Ok here is the dumb question of the day, would adding two fluorescent strips of 30W or 25W equal the same as one large 60W or 50 W??
( 30W + 30W = 60 W x 29ga= 2.0 wpg????)
that is in case i cant find a 40 or 45 W single strip... but is that right??
Thanks. :D

Yes. I use two light fixtures on my 40 tall, same basic size as your 29 gallon tank (30X12 inches). I found you get better light distribution with two fixtures then one more powerful fixture. Also your fish will look better with a light fixture in the front half and the back half of the tank.

Thank you docrak,
ill get to work on adding the other fluorescent light strip to my home made canopy. Plenty of space in it for lights... just need to waterproof it. and had a pc fan to keep temps down inside.

thank you, now I got another fun project for the weekend!!! Last week was a trap to have between my pythons pump at the faucet and the vacc tube at the tank. I loss some suction pressure, but other thatn that... I got some fry saved from destruction.

PVC and vacumn filter are the trick...

What is the difference between CF and normal ol' fluorescent? Or should i say, NO fluorescent??

Compact fluorescent bulbs are higher wattage, put out more light, and cost more.

Regarding the python trap, why not simply use it as a regular siphon for cleaning the tank? A 5 gallon bucket would save the fry, and you won't be wasting water to create the suction for the python.

A CF puts out more light in a smaller strip. I just upgraded to a 110W CF fixture for my 55 gal tank. When I bought it I didn't know that CF fixtures are 135% more efficient in regards to lighting so I actually have 2.75WPG. If you do upgrade, keep that in mind. Now I am purchasing a CO2 unit and all the ferts because I am over 2 WPG. :)

Two strip lights will be just fine or you could upgrade to a CF setup. If you want to go the CF route and have some experience with wiring (it's super simple) and can build your own wood box, go with a kit from AH Supply. High quality with low price. I've used their 36w kit over a 10g and love it. I'll buy using the 96w kit over my 40g breeder as well. The light output is awesome, not only because of the bulbs for the reflector as well.

Back
Top Bottom