Why Plan Anything...It Never Happens As Planned

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Fish delivery day today :)

Thankfully the new filter from one supplier and the fish from a different supplier are both being delivered by the same courier, so once they arrive I shall be keeping the fish closed up inside their polystyrene box where they will be warm and cosy whilst getting the filter sorted out and fitted

Currently I have my 24w GKM running on the 53. Something I have always done (my dad used to do the same), have a UV run before new fish arrive and keep it running for their first 5-7 days after being placed into the aquarium.

I realise the use of UV generally makes for lively debate as to its effectiveness on fish health but in 40+ years I have never experienced any health issues with my fish...no diseases, no illnesses. Coincidence...maybe. However I'll not be changing the way I do things any time soon.

The lighting is on in the 53 at the moment and will stay on til the filter situation is dealt with. Then it'll be lights off on that aquarium til tomorrow so to allow the fish to settle in quietly once they are here.

According to the courier website the fish and filter should arrive at anytime within the next 5 hours, so ample time to prepare everything and be ready for them.

Wow, that’s a big tank for a betta. Mine’s in a 5 gallon, but I have 10, 20, 29 & a 40 gallon tanks sitting around empty. I’d have to say Beto (play on Texan politician’s name) is not all that active, hence I’m uncertain if larger accommodations would behoove him. I have no plans to add another fish to his humble abode.

Here’s a photo from yesterday. He looks faded & is more purple/magenta.

Nice looking Betta.

Personally I would be inclined to move him to at least a 10 gallon aquarium. Reason being is that I feel 5 gallons just doesn't give any fish enough room to get any sort of speed up when swimming or enough incentive to roam and act naturally

My Betta is in a 29 gallon and he loves it....we interact with each other every day, he does the zoomies all over the aquarium...he "owns" that aquarium, swims every inch of it. Since moving into the 29 gallon his colours have really come into their own and for an older Betta (he is 3.5 years old), he is extremely active, way moreso than when he was in his original 8 gallon aquarium.

So I would be very inclined to give your Betta a larger aquarium if you are able to do that cos his colouration, character and personality will really blossom.

All new residents have arrived safe and well.

They are all getting used to their new home with lighting off til tomorrow.

All very healthy and active fish...good colouration on all of them within moments of going into their new home.

I shall take a photo or two tomorrow once they are settled in...but so far, so good

The new Sicce filter is brilliant...love the magnetic attachment to the glass and the magnetic media box fittings. I have it on a mid range flow on the integrated spray bar. I might change over to its venturi tomorrow, its an all in one unit, extremely easy to set up and exceptionally quiet too. The filter is new to the market, was only released by Sicce in May 2022....they come with a 5 year warranty too which is amazing. Shark Pro 900 internal filter, £67.99 from Aquacadabra (or Pro-Shrimp).

The water was actually lovely and clear before the new hooligans moved in yesterday, its gone a wee bit cloudy this morning but we are all safe and sound

The pair of Fire Red Apisto have already decided on their cave and are hiding inside...they are a little over an inch long, about the same as everyone else in length

The Cories are being typical Cories and bouncing all over the place....the Neon Tetras are getting into the swing of things slowly

It will take a week or so for them to settle into a routine and get used to their new home...but all 42 fish are alive and well and active which is the objective

Attachments

• IMG_20221111_054222_resized_20221111_054349483.jpg
    IMG_20221111_054222_resized_20221111_054349483.jpg
    247.8 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20221111_054241_resized_20221111_054349149.jpg
    IMG_20221111_054241_resized_20221111_054349149.jpg
    252.9 KB · Views: 28
It’s coming along swimmingly! Gotta love those neons & your decor.
What caused the initial cloudiness?

It’s coming along swimmingly! Gotta love those neons & your decor.
What caused the initial cloudiness?

The Cories might be small but they do tend to make a mess of the sand when playing in it

Not only that but the filter needed some finer media in there, it wasn't catching the sand...it lobbed it out instead

All sorted now....with a bit of unladylike language thrown in for good measure as is the way with all things fishy.

I have 7 albino Cory cats. Is this what you keep? One is an adult & the others little guys. I’m seeing less sand kick up since I switched from Playground sand to pool filter sand, which is less fine. Costs more, but not like I’m using tons of it.

So happy to hear all the fish are looking good. It's always a huge relief when they come in well.

That is an interesting newer feature with the magnets. Sounds great. I have a Sicce water pump as a back up but haven't needed to use it yet.

I have 7 albino Cory cats. Is this what you keep? One is an adult & the others little guys. I’m seeing less sand kick up since I switched from Playground sand to pool filter sand, which is less fine. Costs more, but not like I’m using tons of it.

I have 10 Corydora Rabauti (Rusty Corydoras)

All are babies at 1 to 1.5 inches long

The sand is aquarium sand...Unipac Kivu Sand...I prefer using substrates made for aquariums since I know it hasn't got any potentially toxic additives etc. It is also much finer than children's play sand.

So happy to hear all the fish are looking good. It's always a huge relief when they come in well.

That is an interesting newer feature with the magnets. Sounds great. I have a Sicce water pump as a back up but haven't needed to use it yet.

The Sicce Shark Pro filters only came onto the market in May/June 2022, they are an improved version of the Sicce Shark ADV filters

The ADV had suction cups to hold the filter to the glass and magnets to hold the powerhead to the media boxes. The Shark Pro is entirely magnetic - glass holding and powerhead to media boxes.

Never heard of that species. What awesome little guys! I love them!

The pool filter sand I use is contaminate free. Widely used by aquarists. I switched to it from playground sand after purchasing a secondhand 125 G tank from a guy who owns a pet shop and is extremely knowledgeable. He said it’s all they use & I found it easier to vacuum than finer sand. Also a nice white color.

Never heard of that species. What awesome little guys! I love them!

The pool filter sand I use is contaminate free. Widely used by aquarists. I switched to it from playground sand after purchasing a secondhand 125 G tank from a guy who owns a pet shop and is extremely knowledgeable. He said it’s all they use & I found it easier to vacuum than finer sand. Also a nice white color.

You shouldn't have white substrate, it stresses the fish with the glare from the lights overhead

The UK generally has little need to supply sand for swimming pool filters......and buying actual aquarium sand is not that expensive anyway. I have always used aquarium sand and substrate, no point doing any different really

I must say the substrate you have is a terrific color, reminds
me of granite. I inadvertently achieved a similar effect when
I had half of a tank white and the other black. Predictably, the critters
mixed up the colors.

I used black sand for a while on some tanks. A nearly 50 pd sack was given to me by someone selling a tank & other equipment. My understanding is this product is the same sand that’s sold in 5 pd bags at high prices in pet stores.

Attachments

• B4C7FE32-C12D-4DD3-B930-781EDD261AF7.jpeg
    B4C7FE32-C12D-4DD3-B930-781EDD261AF7.jpeg
    89.5 KB · Views: 18
Must be doing something right....all 42 fish are alive, kicking and generally sorting their hierarchy out....

Squabbling Neon Tetras trying to sort who will be boss Tetra....the Cories are still just being the usual aquarium clowns...the pair of Apisto are getting braver but still not entirely sure about where they are or the horde of lunatics that are sharing their space....we're getting settled albeit slow and steady. Very tiny fish but all healthy and eating very well.

I have a delivery of floating plants coming from Aqua Essentials later today to add to the floaters already in the aquarium, so should aid in getting everyone calmed and settled

They watched intently as I did Fred's water change in his 29 gallon this morning....their turn next week.

Not the greatest images (not the best cameraphone tbh) but these are my two super shy juvenile Fire Red Apisto

Attachments

• IMG_20221112_100158_resized_20221112_100321426.jpg
    IMG_20221112_100158_resized_20221112_100321426.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20221112_100225_resized_20221112_100320334.jpg
    IMG_20221112_100225_resized_20221112_100320334.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 21
So far as I can tell, you’re a brilliant fish keeper who’s making all the right moves. I wish there were more people in the hobby like you.

Back
Top Bottom