Driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tannis isn't bad for your fish. In fact it's good for then. Although most people don't like the tea look. So if you can't boil it then put it the tank. You will probably have to anchor it down with rock but some of the wood sold will sink.

You will most likely have tea colored water in the morning. A water change can help but only briefly. If you have a non-planted tank a bag of active carbon with remove it. If you have a planted tank. You can't use carbon it's a big no no! But seachem purigen

image-2513217805.jpg

Can be used in a planted tank. It will remove the tannis but not the fertz!

The tannis isn't so much of the worry. It's waking up and seeing 19 dead fish. I doubt many, or any will die. Since I don't have a turkey boiler, I think I'm going to bake the wood I have for 25 min at 375*f. Then rinse/let it soak in my bath tub until the water is clear and the wood doesn't float.

I heard the tannins can lower the ph of the tank. How much I don't know but to much fluctuation could be bad.

I added a huge piece like 20lb without boiling to a 75 g and my ph went from 7.8 to 7.2 over the course of a week. I like the tea water look and all my fish are those types that live in river basins.

I added a huge piece like 20lb without boiling to a 75 g and my ph went from 7.8 to 7.2 over the course of a week. I like the tea water look and all my fish are those types that live in river basins.

I don't mind it either. My wife on the other hand...not a fan. She told me "everything about tank is beautiful except the water. :lol:

I think it gives the tank a more natural and authentic feel. I think the fish appreciate it at as well.

It all depends on the kind of DW you use whether it will leach tannins alittle, alot, or not at all. I like the tannins not only because its more natural but it also seems to stimulate breeding in alot of fish and the tannins have anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties.

adding a small piece of grapevine to your tank should not release that much tannins if it has been cleaned well and all the bark is gone. Grapevine in an aquarium is not the best because it is not a really hard wood and tends to break down sooner than hardwoods. That being said using it for plecos to chew on is a good wood because it does break down better. I use cholla wood for my plecos.

I found a fish store in town that sells Manzanita wood. I didn't even know they were here. I was told that I just have to rinse well then put it in. I'm going to go that route when I get the $$$

Back
Top Bottom