dry plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishdud

Aquarium Advice FINatic
If aquarium plants are left out and they dry out can they still be saved? Or do you just throw em away?

Depends on how dry they are I suppose. Are they still green? It also depends greatly on what species of plant we are talking... but if they are still green, part or all of the plant could still survive. A lot of FW plants grow in very shallow water that often recedes for a length of time, so many plants can adapt to temporary emerged or even dry conditions.

Yeah they are probably fine as long as they didn't get dry and brittle, but like fort said it really depends on the plant. I've left java moss out of the water for several days and it bounced back after putting it back in, lol.

Well I as changing my substrate And they were left out for an hour or two. I didn't know they would dry out. But the plants were water wisteria, amazon swords, Italian vals and some crypts. But luckily I have the same plants in a ten gallon.

It depends. Most definitely the roots shouldn't dry up. I know this is the case with other out of water plants. You should try it out and see if you can triumph. Good luck to you

jetajockey said:
Yeah they are probably fine as long as they didn't get dry and brittle, but like fort said it really depends on the plant. I've left java moss out of the water for several days and it bounced back after putting it back in, lol.

You know when you leave out lettuce and it dries? That's how they looked afterwards

Atxpunx said:
It depends. Most definitely the roots shouldn't dry up. I know this is the case with other out of water plants. You should try it out and see if you can triumph. Good luck to you

All their roots look good and healthy. And thanks you, hopefully they'll pull through..

Two hours should be fine. With good roots the worst case scenario will be some leave die off followed by eventual new growth.

Atxpunx said:
Two hours should be fine. With good roots the worst case scenario will be some leave die off followed by eventual new growth.

I really do think this is what could happen days passing. Cause some leaves look okay while some are dying off. Good thing the substrate I replaced has plant nutrients:) I'm try my best to remember how long they were out... my best guess was more than two hours. I think 3 or 4..

I say go for it. I've had plants shipped from Asia that survive summer heat, no light, and the only water they've had was what was soaked I to the newspaper they wrapped them in. Central Asia to Georgia vs. you leaving them on the counter for a few, I think they'll survive.

I'm hoping they do.. what were once really healthy beautiful plants are now dry and withered.. well only thing I can do is wait:)

Back
Top Bottom