Dust and diatoms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Madison_

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone! I have two questions:

1. I’ve been noticing what looks like a small layer of dust/film/small particles on the surface of my tank, even after water changes and with a filter creating surface agitation. Any ideas as to what could cause this? Any suggestions to get rid of it or prevent it?

2. I’ve been having a diatom problem in my tank for a while now. Overfeeding is not an issue; don’t have any live plants; there is natural light in the room; and levels of nitrates and phosphates are normal. What could be causing this? How can I get rid of it (I know snails are commonly suggested but I don’t have the means to get and keep a snail right now)? What would happen if I just let it run its course?

Thanks so much for your help! :)

Thank you for the suggestion! Have you used Phosbond before? If so, for how long? I’m assuming it doesn’t affect fish?

What are your thoughts on Phosguard?

I have used it 2 times - 3 tanks.

Over the years, because it was quickly available at the lfs, I have used Phosguard lots of times.

In reading found Phosbond was more appropriately targeted for removing diotoms so I have used this for my SW tanks especially.

Never seen a hint of issue with fish or inverts.

Purigen is something I use in general for tanks, which can be exhausted and recharges and reused,

Phosguard and Phosbond will work until exhausted and then is used up and isn't rechargable.

I used these to start up 2 new tanks and 1 established tank which I thought I would try it out on for organics.

Thanks for the info!! Will be buying those products

Back
Top Bottom