Dwarf Crayfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GodFan

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok I really really want some dwarf crays. I am soon upgrading to a 56 gallon column tank and was hoping to stock like this (Not finale might be slightly overstocked. this is just an idea)

4x black kuhli loaches
6x celestial pearl danios
6x goldringed danios
6x glowlight tetras
5x otto
2x german blue rams
1-2x dwarf crays

Later I might try to add like a FW flounder, whiptail cat, anf ghost shrimp (Experimentally)
For shelter I have a rock cave. I might add a piece of drift wood and want to add a DIY under-the-substrate cave. Would this be good? Any suggestions?
Also where can I get cheap Dwarf Crays?

Thanks and God bless!

I believe your fish will only be eaten if it is really slow or sick

I think the khulis would especially be in danger.and otos.
But the danios should be safe

hmmm...Even with Dwarfs? I really like the kuhlis and kinda need the ottos.....

GodFan said:
hmmm...Even with Dwarfs? I really like the kuhlis and kinda need the ottos.....

Crawdads ( which is what we call them around here) should be kept in a separate tank

Ottos arent going to keep your tank algae free.
But a good magnetic algae scrubber will

Ottos arent going to keep your tank algae free.
But a good magnetic algae scrubber will
They keep the algae in my 20 tall really really super low. Ive only used the algae scrubber like 2 or 3 times since january when I started the tank.

I wouldn't risk having the crays in here. It's one thing to eat a danio, it's completely different to hurt a cute innocent kuhli loach!!! ;)

If you have your mind set, then start with 1 and see how it goes.

guys, dwarf crayfish are not the same as regular crayfish. If they were the same size, I'm sure they would be terrors, but their size limits their ability to do damage, so they actually can work out in a community setting.

Does anybody have the crays Im talking about? I would only add 1 at first btw

Would a dwarf crayfish eat my green spotted puffer fish while the sit on the bottom??

Uhh a GSP needs to be converted to brackish and then full saltwater if im not mistaken.
Saltwater=dead cray

Terrance said:
It would be the other way around.

Yep. I have a Mexican orange crayfish he's really cool I feed him dried worms by hand. He lives with snails and a Betta. They won't hunt fish only eat them if they are dying or weak....fish do the same thing to other fish. He's only about an inch long. Id recommend them to you but it's not recommended to have more then one for territorial purposes. That's what the LFS told me but if you have space it should be ok. ;)

I agree with jeta. NOT regular crays like people seem to be thinking of. I have been advised by people who keep them that they do ok in some community settings and do not damage fish.
You can try PMing HN1, they have kept/keep cpo's and and know about them.

Why don't you try some bamboo shrimp instead? They get to about 3 inches long and have four fans instead of claws. LOL.

NoMoreGoldFish said:
Why don't you try some bamboo shrimp instead? They get to about 3 inches long and have four fans instead of claws. LOL.

Oo really haha? Theyll live in brackish water fine??

Back
Top Bottom