CPO Dwarf Crayfish care advice and tips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The only thing mine seems to get really upset about is when the chili rasboras try to investigate him. Or when he picks up the entire algae wafer and tries to scuttle away with it while all the shrimp, cories and rasboras are still trying to eat it!

I've definitely noticed it was trying to uproot some wisteria one day, too, but it was rooted in too well and I filled the hole in during water change heh.

Pretty sure my second crayfish is dead. I broke down the 18 gal tank and moved the cray into the 36 gal community tank. That was over a week ago. I haven't found a body (or body parts) but I haven't seen it since then. I don't know what could have happened - it's not like panda corys are vicious killers, and the tetras don't mess with anyone except each other. I'm pretty sad about it.

Maybe I'll try again with these guys eventually. But for now I'm admitting defeat.

Thank you for all the advice, everyone - next time I'll be more prepared thanks to you. Please still chime in with any fun stories or new ideas or things you learned about CPO crays.

Try not feeding for a day and then drop down a wafer or favorite food and see if it comes out. Sometimes they will hide after molting. A seemingly long time. Hope he comes out. I'm thinking of picking up one from the lfs today if they have one.

It was the expensive lfs that had the CPO's $12.49 Yikes. But I figured I would spend 2.50 more than I though I should have because they were a nice orange color. Some have a bunch of brownish spots and lines, I wanted a nice orange one.
60074-albums13946-picture70969.jpg

+1 to this. Autumnsky really knows inverts. I completely agree that CPOs get really reclusive when they molt. If you didn't see the dead body, it's maybe not dead CPOs try and canabalize each when they molt, so they're good at hiding. I once "lost" a single CPO in a bare 5 gallon with a sponge filter and a little bit of moss and cholla wood until it reemerged 2-3 days later, munching on its old exoskeleton.

Keep an eye out on the ground for it too. They're escape artists and can survive a respectable amount of time out of the water. They usually handle big water changes surprisingly well for inverts, but sometimes they escape when put into a new tank because they don't like the new water at first.

Don't give up! They're amazing little creatures!

Try not feeding for a day and then drop down a wafer or favorite food and see if it comes out. Sometimes they will hide after molting. A seemingly long time. Hope he comes out. I'm thinking of picking up one from the lfs today if they have one.

Nice CPO Autumnsky! $12.50 is a steal here in the Bay area. Seen em listed $15-20. All that Google/Apple/Facebook money pushing the prices sky high.

It was the expensive lfs that had the CPO's $12.49 Yikes. But I figured I would spend 2.50 more than I though I should have because they were a nice orange color. Some have a bunch of brownish spots and lines, I wanted a nice orange one.
60074-albums13946-picture70969.jpg

Wow - that is more like highway robbery!!! I usually see them for 9.99-10.99.

As of right now the CPO looks a bit more pale than in the pic but the sand is light purple/Garnet sand, they look better with Black sand. The night LED blue lights are now til bed time, as since adding him in, I think it is a female actually, I might get a male this next week end at a different shop (if they are nice and orange). Will keep you posted, good, bad or ???.

CPOs are 12.99 at the LFS around here! It seemed pretty reasonable, just a little more than they are at the internet store fronts I browse (and no shipping, also immediately in my possession(y))

I got a couple action shots of him climbing a plant and then promptly falling off of it haha

Attachments

• IMG_20170306_200203.jpg
    IMG_20170306_200203.jpg
    261.1 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_20170306_200154.jpg
    IMG_20170306_200154.jpg
    260.5 KB · Views: 63
CPOs are 12.99 at the LFS around here! It seemed pretty reasonable, just a little more than they are at the internet store fronts I browse (and no shipping, also immediately in my possession(y))

I got a couple action shots of him climbing a plant and then promptly falling off of it haha

That's hilarious!

Mine was hanging on a leaf upsidedown yesterday towards the back of the tank and I had to give it a couple look sees to make sure she wasn't dead, but she moved and was in a different spot this morning so I won't be worried.

At the stores here, the cpo's are 20ish Canadian dollars. Your prices are amazing compared to mine.

Whoa! Alright I will not complain again about the cost!!! ;)

Decided I will try to get her a friend, maybe this week if I have an excuse to travel an hour+ to the far away lfs.

All these stories are making me miss my crays. They have so much personality! And by personality, well, I mean unbridled rage.

By the way, I got my male & female pair online at AquaticArts for $29.95 + shipping

Back
Top Bottom