Dwarf Gourami and Guppies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blueramboy87

Aquarium Advice Freak
I setting up my planted ten gallon tank again and have decided I want to start out with a Dwarf Gourami and 3 guppies (1m:2f). I have researched both and think they will be fine together but I have seen conflicting info. So tell me what you think and any experiences with the two together. Thanks

In the past it worked for me. However it can be hit an miss. Many anabantoids have different personalities. For example I had a DG who loved his tank mates and would swim with them and have had one who killed everyone.

It should work, but have a backup plan.

-Raymond

I setting up my planted ten gallon tank again and have decided I want to start out with a Dwarf Gourami and 3 guppies (1m:2f). I have researched both and think they will be fine together but I have seen conflicting info. So tell me what you think and any experiences with the two together. Thanks

It work for me. I use to have 4 guppies and one dwarf gourami. They did just find. But it's a hit and miss.

Ya that is want I'm thinking, hit or miss. Anyone else have experience with these together? Also are these hardy fish? I know dg's can be iffy but I can't find anything on guppies.

I have kept honey gourami with guppies, no problem. I have not kept a dwarf one, would be afraid to try personally.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

As much as I love them, the petsmart and petco won't have them and they are the only pet stores around.

I keep a dwarf gourami with guppies in my 30 gallon along with some other types. No problem whatsoever in mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

fishliker how hardy would you say guppies are?

I agree the guppies are very hardy. However I wouldn't put a pearl gourami in a 10 gallon tank, they get too big. The honey gourami would work best, if you can find. My local Petco ordered some for me at my request and they were nice and have worked out fine. They need plants for cover, even floating ones to be comfortable and behave more naturally. Good luck!

I have three gouramis with my guppies in a 55 gallon tank and they get along great. As long as the gouramis are young when introduced to community fish you will be fine. I also have my 3 bettas living with 6 guppies in a 20 gallon and they dont even fight.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have a dwarf gourami in a 10gal with 5 guppies, they were a little scared of him at first but they are used to each other now. No problems at all.

I have a dwarf gourami in a 10gal with 5 guppies, they were a little scared of him at first but they are used to each other now. No problems at all.

mPhish did you put the dg and guppies in your new tank first? I'm wondering how hardy guppies are. I'm thinking of adding the guppies to my tank first.

I agree the guppies are very hardy. However I wouldn't put a pearl gourami in a 10 gallon tank, they get too big. The honey gourami would work best, if you can find. My local Petco ordered some for me at my request and they were nice and have worked out fine. They need plants for cover, even floating ones to be comfortable and behave more naturally. Good luck!

Sorry forgot about tank size.

To OP: Good luck! Tell us how it goes!

Back
Top Bottom