Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-05-2015, 03:13 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Dwarf Gourami help!

So I'm in a bit of a pickle. I have 2 male dwarf gourami in a 10 gallon and when I first got them, they barely looked at each other. A couple weeks ago, I noticed that they'd started fighting, most likely territorial.
I tried to put in a blockade between the 2 halves of my tank and they keep getting around it.

A close friend of mine has a 5.5 gallon tank that they're potentially able to sell to me and I want to know if it would be acceptable to keep one of the Gourami (currently just over 2 inches) in the 5.5 gallon tank? I wouldn't put anything else in there with him but plants

10 gal, 2 gourami
Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 05-05-2015, 04:03 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Dwarf Gourami help!

I wouldn't even put 1 gourami in that size of tank.... I think 20g is good for one or a pair. They are very territorial and that size tank is not large enough for their personalities. I have a 36g and I had three in there. They ended up harassing one to death... I would return them if I was you or just keep one in the 10g return the other.

36g semi-aggressive
20g community
10g betta, nano fish, shrimp
3g betta
Old 05-05-2015, 04:09 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I would do whatever you can to separate them, one will eventually be killed. I'd put the one in the 5 gallon just to keep them apart, but that's just a short term solution. If you can't get something larger for it, it needs to be rehomed/taken back to store. Generally only one can be kept in a tank. Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice
Old 05-05-2015, 04:09 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishliker View Post
I would do whatever you can to separate them, one will eventually be killed. I'd put the one in the 5 gallon just to keep them apart, but that's just a short term solution. If you can't get something larger for it, it needs to be rehomed/taken back to store. Generally only one can be kept in a tank. Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Agreed. I now only have 1 in my 36g and he is much happier.

36g semi-aggressive
20g community
10g betta, nano fish, shrimp
3g betta
Old 05-05-2015, 07:49 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

No where will take them (or even just one) back. I asked at the store I got them from (which was a petsmart) and they refused. I did the same for the local petco and another small aquarium store. I'll be using my friends 5.5 gallon until I can purchase another 10 gallon tank and cycle it properly. I can't get anymore than that because my dorm space next year has a strict policy on each room only having a 20 gallon allowance :/

10 gal, 2 gourami
Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Tags
dwarf, dwarf gourami, gourami, ram

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com