Dwarf Gourami help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

angelgourami

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I'm in a bit of a pickle. I have 2 male dwarf gourami in a 10 gallon and when I first got them, they barely looked at each other. A couple weeks ago, I noticed that they'd started fighting, most likely territorial.
I tried to put in a blockade between the 2 halves of my tank and they keep getting around it.

A close friend of mine has a 5.5 gallon tank that they're potentially able to sell to me and I want to know if it would be acceptable to keep one of the Gourami (currently just over 2 inches) in the 5.5 gallon tank? I wouldn't put anything else in there with him but plants

10 gal, 2 gourami
Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I wouldn't even put 1 gourami in that size of tank.... I think 20g is good for one or a pair. They are very territorial and that size tank is not large enough for their personalities. I have a 36g and I had three in there. They ended up harassing one to death... I would return them if I was you or just keep one in the 10g return the other.

36g semi-aggressive
20g community
10g betta, nano fish, shrimp
3g betta

I would do whatever you can to separate them, one will eventually be killed. I'd put the one in the 5 gallon just to keep them apart, but that's just a short term solution. If you can't get something larger for it, it needs to be rehomed/taken back to store. Generally only one can be kept in a tank. Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I would do whatever you can to separate them, one will eventually be killed. I'd put the one in the 5 gallon just to keep them apart, but that's just a short term solution. If you can't get something larger for it, it needs to be rehomed/taken back to store. Generally only one can be kept in a tank. Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Agreed. I now only have 1 in my 36g and he is much happier.

36g semi-aggressive
20g community
10g betta, nano fish, shrimp
3g betta

No where will take them (or even just one) back. I asked at the store I got them from (which was a petsmart) and they refused. I did the same for the local petco and another small aquarium store. I'll be using my friends 5.5 gallon until I can purchase another 10 gallon tank and cycle it properly. I can't get anymore than that because my dorm space next year has a strict policy on each room only having a 20 gallon allowance :/

10 gal, 2 gourami
Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom