Dwarf gouramis?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Are females aggressive ?

Dwarf and Honey gourami females can actually be kept in groups BUT they are very plain and dull in color so fish stores won't even stock them as they won't sell. Full size gourami females tend to be less aggressive IMO but are only suitable for larger tanks IMO.

You've never seen a truly beautiful DG female if you think they're dull and boring...a nicely bred can be a wonderful addition to a tank. The girl I've got in my 20 long is a sunset with some beautifully metallic coloration, and there's another I've been wanting at the LFS who's pure, shiny silver with cobalt blue finnage. It's kinda like bettas: yeah the males are the showy ones, but if you look hard enough you can find females to give them a run for their money

You should post a picture because in over 30 years in this hobby I've never seen a female DG or Honey female that isn't bland.

did you manage to get one yet im dying to see it:popcorn:

Just tried...every single photo is motion blur and her scales reflecting a ridiculous amount of light and washing out the rest of the image. I think I just need a decent camera, rather than a phone with a camera on it

Thanks everyone, I might check out petsmart, but the petsmart in my area has terrible quality fish, but I'll check it out, just to compare.

Thanks everyone, I might check out petsmart, but the petsmart in my area has terrible quality fish, but I'll check it out, just to compare.

Try to find a local fish or pet store instead...you'll pay more but get healthier fish. It's especially important for DGs since they're very susceptible to iridovirus, which is a disease that has spread like wildfire, especially in southeast asian fish hatcheries. A LFS is more likely to get healthy fish bred domestically.

Try to find a local fish or pet store instead...you'll pay more but get healthier fish. It's especially important for DGs since they're very susceptible to iridovirus, which is a disease that has spread like wildfire, especially in southeast asian fish hatcheries. A LFS is more likely to get healthy fish bred domestically.

So should I just go to my local petland and pay $12.97, an get really high quality fish? Because I don't know of any good local fish stores... I'll probably just go to petland then.

I would read yelp reviews and things like that, and whichever store has the best reviews from people who know what they're taking about, check them out first. Or try aquabid/ebay

Dwarf and Honey gourami females can actually be kept in groups BUT they are very plain and dull in color so fish stores won't even stock them as they won't sell. Full size gourami females tend to be less aggressive IMO but are only suitable for larger tanks IMO.

Thank you ;)

Petsmart is hit or miss with then I had 3 and I only have two left a sunset and a flame dwarf . The flame is kinda Not doing well hoping it recovers fully been doing more WC

image-2188208372.jpg the long things in front are kinda shorter than used to be

The long things are his ventral fins...many species of gourami grow them long and thin so they can be used like catfish whiskers. If they're shrinking then there's a good shot he either has fin rot or someone else in the tank is getting nippy. Good news is that once the problem is resolved they should grow back just fine.

Well I think it was water quality cuz the sunset look fine though ... His scales are kinda raised been this way over a week it was worse but after prayer and WC he's improving ... Maybe he was more sensitive to ich meds than the other I honesty thought he would die

Is he bloated? Pineconing scales and bloat almost always means dropsy. If he's eating and swimming more or less normally you still have time to treat but if he's stopped eating its probably too late

He is eating and has been improving more over last few days and his scales are looking better the. They were he does not look bloated and is swimming more than he was days ago

Okay, so I've decided that I will probably check out petsmart (I have other things to get there anyways, then I'll go to petland and buy a expensive gourami. This may still change though lol, if I see another fish that I like at petland.

Back
Top Bottom