Dwarf Puffer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MatthewM

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've got my tank and I have a cycled filter on it so I'm putting some fake plants and decorations in this weekend and getting my dwarf puffers in next week and I want to put otos in as mates so my question is should I add them first?

MatthewM said:
I've got my tank and I have a cycled filter on it so I'm putting some fake plants and decorations in this weekend and getting my dwarf puffers in next week and I want to put otos in as mates so my question is should I add them first?

What size tank is it? I wouldn't put any other fish with them unless it's more puffers. Dwarf puffers are very aggressive and almost always kill anything that is in their territory.

Otos are a peaceful species and should not be added to a Dwarf Puffer tank. They also need groups of five or more. IMO it's not a good idea. Dwarf Puffers are usually pretty territorial and the best thing to do is have them in a species-only tank. That's just my opinion though.

Ok two agreeing opinions on it so I think its good advice! I had heard they co existed sometimes but if its not reccomended ill pass I guess!

Ok two agreeing opinions on it so I think its good advice! I had heard they co existed sometimes but if its not reccomended ill pass I guess!
It's just not too practical. I would have a Dwarf Puffer myself, but my dad won't let me have any more tanks lol. The good thing about them is that they do just fine in a five gallon tank, so that they don't take up too much space. Let us know what you decide!

I have a 10 gallon running so I'm getting two puffers but wanted somthing besides just the puffers you guys think a dwarf cray with banded claws would be ok?

I have a 10 gallon running so I'm getting two puffers but wanted somthing besides just the puffers you guys think a dwarf cray with banded claws would be ok?
As I said before, these fish are remarkably aggressive and a Dwarf Crayfish more likely than not get killed and/or eaten.

MatthewM said:

The only suitable tankmate for them is more puffers IMO.

I had 3 in a ten gallon and I added 2 otos before I knew any better and lets just say I never found a body. Also I believe that one of the 3 has been killed too. Make sure you have lots and lots of hiding places for these little guys. I'm in the process of setting up a new planted 10 gallon to mace my puffers to I feel they would be more happy with a heavily planted tank as well as so will I because I won't have to do as many water changes. You need to do at least a 50% pwc a week because these little buggers are so messy.

Yeah I was going to do live plants but I don't want to buy a better light so I have a lot of artificial plants on the way along with a artificial mangrove root and a couple of cichlid stones so there should be plenty of hiding spots!

Back
Top Bottom