dwarf puffers - brackish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

willowthepoet

Aquarium Advice Activist
i know most puffers are supposed to be slightly brackish, even though they're usually kept in fw at the lfs.

is this also true for dwarf puffers? i have a tank of guppy fry that i'm ready to move back over to my main tank, so this one's gonna be empty... so i thought i'd finally get some dwarf puffers.

anybody have information? do these tiny guys need snails like the bigger puffers? i couldn't imagine such a little thing eating a snail!

thanks!

willowthepoet said:
i know most puffers are supposed to be slightly brackish, even though they're usually kept in fw at the lfs.

is this also true for dwarf puffers? i have a tank of guppy fry that i'm ready to move back over to my main tank, so this one's gonna be empty... so i thought i'd finally get some dwarf puffers.

anybody have information? do these tiny guys need snails like the bigger puffers? i couldn't imagine such a little thing eating a snail!

thanks!

I've never owned DP's, but I did a lot of research and came very close - they're full freshwater, and the general concensus is that they don't have the overgrown teeth problem, and therefore do not require snails in their diet. They need quite a bit of space, say ~ 3 gallons/puffer. They are adorable fish, but unfortunately it is recommended that they be kept in a species only tank, as they are very nippy and tend to get more aggressive as they age. They can be dangerous even to fish who are considerably larger, because they have extremely strong mouths.
Check out DwarfPuffers.com for lots of good info! Good luck - hopefully someday I will be able to have a DP tank.

thanks! i'm only going to get one... i have a 5 gallon tank, so that will be for just one little guy, and i'll venture into some plants. *crosses fingers* (i always kill plants... i even killed a cactus once...)

i love my little DP they are my favorite fish. i have 4 of them in a 5 gallon hex tank. They are just the most fun to watch!

i dropped a small snail in the tank tonight and he beelined under a rock, i just went and looked and found an empty shell LOL!

guess i need to go back to the LFS and get some more. i wonder how fast the small snails breed?

Back
Top Bottom